Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

puzzling quote about our dead cap space

In his article today titled "NFL investigating Redskins-Coles transaction," SportsLine.com's Jay Glazer states that:

"Washington currently leads the NFL in dead money with nearly $13 million owed to players no longer on the roster. This is the third year in a row that Snyder's Redskins are near the top of the dead money pool. While football is a game, the NFL is first and foremost a business and giving away money to ex-employees is not a terrific business strategy."

Is this largely because of Stephen Davis? I guess we took a hit when we released him, but $13 million is over 17% of our salary cap. I'm confused...I thought we got Deion & Co. off the books finally. Who is all this $$ attributed to?? Is Glazer full of $hit? Somebody help me out here. :gus:

Davis and Shade account for over 80% of it I believe.

I argue the statement that we are giving away money to former players.

Since the players received that signing bonus up front, then they got the money when they played.

When will the media ever learn this? The cap does not reflect what you spend on players in the given year. It reflects how the prorated portions of the bonuses and their salaries count in that year.

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

Davis and Shade account for over 80% of it I believe.

I argue the statement that we are giving away money to former players.

Since the players received that signing bonus up front, then they got the money when they played.

When will the media ever learn this? The cap does not reflect what you spend on players in the given year. It reflects how the prorated portions of the bonuses and their salaries count in that year.

True, although if a significant percentage of your salary cap for a particular year is devoted to players who have moved on, it is a bit of a problem for competitive reasons. I was just surprised that we had so much on this year's cap because I thought we were out of the woods, but I guess next year we should be in better shape being a year removed from Davis' departure. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Glazer has an agenda. He took the facts and targeted Dan Snyder and the Redskins. Instead of being objective he decided to put his spin on it.

I can't believe people like him are allowed to write this Sh!t. I guess it sells magazines.

Larry Brown #43,

Here ya go. :high:

THE 2003 REDSKINS DEAD CAP MONEY

Donovan Greer....... 0.133m

Sage Rosenfels........... 0.102m

Jeff Grau...................... 0.018m

Reggie Coleman.......... 0.040m

Jacquez Green............ 0.150m

Kevin Lockett.............. 0.010m

Emmett Johnson......... 0.010m

Brett Conway.............. 0.075m

Stephen Davis............. 6.214m