Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Davis signs with Carolina

skinsfanbu

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=panthersdavis&prov=st&type=lgns

Report: Panthers reach agreement with RB Stephen Davis

March 13, 2003

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - It appears two-time Pro Bowl running back Stephen Davis has decided to play close to home, even if it is with a rebuilding team.

ESPN is reporting that Davis, a native of Spartanburg, South Carolina, has reached agreement with the Carolina Panthers on a five-year contract worth $15.5 million.

The team has not confirmed the agreement.

Davis, 29, was released by the Washington Redskins last month for salary cap purposes. But his physical up-the-middle running style was not a fit in coach Steve Spurrier's wide-open offense.

From 1999-2001, Davis averaged 326 carries for 1,385 yards and 11 touchdowns. But he had just 820 yards on 207 carries last season under Spurrier, missing four games with knee and shoulder injuries.

The Panthers targeted Davis after releasing veteran back Lamar Smith last month. Smith rushed for 737 yards and seven touchdowns last season for Carolina, but was granted a leave of absence following his drunk driving arrest in November.

The 6-0, 230-pound Davis is third on the Redskins' all-time rushing list with 5,790 yards and 45 touchdowns.

A 1996 fourth-round pick, Davis enjoyed his best season with the Redskins in 1999, rushing for 1,405 yards to go along with 17 touchdowns.

GOOD LUCK, BIG COUNTRY!

HTTR

Skinsthug, I have to disagree with you. Being from North Eastern NC, hence my handle, I had to suffer through the Panthers coming into the league. This area was Redskin country. Every Sunday you could count on seeing the skins play. After the Panthers arrived, the only time I get to see them is when Fox has the double header and the Panthers are playing at a different time, or CBS picks up the game. I have hated them ever since. I relish the 6-0 record we have against them and I hope we can put up the kinda record we used to have with Detroit against them. I pity Davis, I always liked him. Maybe he'll make me rethink my position on my "home state" team. The funny thing is, I live closer to DC.

I'm gonna miss him............

He gave us all he had for the time he was here. He did commit turnovers at the worst times, but all in all he did much more good here than bad.

I just wish that he had done a more sensible deal and not been so selfish contract wise.

I really believe in SSs offense he could have excelled and lengthened his career. He just needed to take advantage of the opportunities given him in the offense.

One has to wonder if he would have not been so vocal in questioning SS if he FO wouldn't have restructured the deal. He's really not that expensive when you look at the terms of his deal with Carolina.

Too bad.......... I wish him well, he'll always be a Redskin in my heart.

Couple Things:

It's a credit to SD that Foxy wanted him despite having DeShaun Foster - he'd tried to defend Davis for years as the Giants DC, and knew what he was getting. Plus, good defenses (always a Fox hallmark) win when they can control time of possesion. I think Davis will get the rock more than he did in DC; it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

All apologies to those whom I harangued when they said we wouldn't have Davis back. Now I'm taking the wait-n-see on Trung - I actively fear the jinx - but y'all said it would happen, and it did. Probably best for all parties, too.

HTTR!

Archived