Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Elizabeth Smart Question

Awgustlab

Heard rumours about her possibly being kidnapped to be part of a polygamy family - Seattle Times had article about it. Also many of the scrolls said she had gained some weight. My girlfriend asked me earlier if she possibly was preganant. We haven't seen her yet and she was apparently getting checked out at the hospital already. Just wondering, as it seems like it sure could be a possibility. Damn Whacko religious freak will get life and possibly the other(s) involved, too.

CNN and MSNBC are talking about him having a revelation back in 2000 that he was supposed to have 7 wives and that he persuaded Elizabeth to give him the address to her favorite cosuin where police founde the screen to her window cut out.

This guy needs sine medieval justice consitinf of hot pokers

Her father said she must have been "brainwashed."

Indeed, even at the end, when police in nearby Sandy stopped the group, Smart initially identified herself as "Augustine" and told them, "I know who you think I am, but I'm not that girl. That Elizabeth Smart girl, that's not me." Separated from her captors and confronted with her real name again, she responded, "Thou sayeth."

But the reactions, and Smart's failure to try to escape, are not at all unusual, experts say. They reflect the confusing mix of fear and dependency sometimes known as the Stockholm Syndrome that would be particularly acute in a child forced to adopt a new name and a new identity to survive in a small, cult-like environment with religious overtones controlled by a dominating male.

"To ensure her own survival, she had to form a relationship with her kidnappers," said Doug Goldsmith, a psychologist who counsels abused children at the Children's Center in Salt Lake. "You are so grateful that the person hasn't killed you, you form a relationship with your captor. It's a very confusing shift of reality. She would not have been able to shift back and ask for help. It's inconceivable."

Archived