Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about 1937 team photo

RavenzSuck

Does anyone have any information on a 1937 team Photo that was published by the Times Herald? A co-worker brought it in and I looked at it. It looked like a gem. It was in a very old frame. It is a great shot of the team too. Above each player, the player signed it and put their college where they went. Sammy Baugh and Turk Edwards were in it. There is also a dog in the middle of the team, it looked like a pit bull. The paper quality does look newspaper but I could not tell since I could not open up the frame. The original owner took great care of it. I will try to get pics of it. My description really does not do justice for this. I offered him 300.00 but he said that he was just going to keep it until he knows what it is worth. I think that it is the original picture that was distributed by the newspaper. I am just wondering if the original photo had the autographs on it. Any info will be appreciated. I am not trying to buy this so that I can resell it, I just want to put it up in my basement and later hand down to my children. I ll attach some pics when I can

Mike

Thank you for the pictures but it is actually neither of these pictures. There is only one row of players. The coaches look like they are wearing practice gear (t shirts and sweats) and the players are wearing the long sleeve jerseys. There are no bleachers in the background, it is only an open field. I will try to attach a picture today. Thanks

Thank you for the pictures but it is actually neither of these pictures. There is only one row of players. The coaches look like they are wearing practice gear (t shirts and sweats) and the players are wearing the long sleeve jerseys. There are no bleachers in the background, it is only an open field. I will try to attach a picture today. Thanks

The picture you are talking about is a fairly common picture and sold at most of the autograph shows. It is nothing special from a collecting standpoint.

See the pics that I have attached. I bought it today. I may have got ripped off for 200.00 but I really like it. It is quite unique. If you look closely at it, the picture was cut right above the autograph of the player. I just wish that I had more details on how the previous owner got it. I really want to open up the frame but I do not want to damage the picture. The frame looks home-made and I do not want to damage it by opening it up

found this out about it

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Washington-Redskins-298/1937-Team-Picture.htm

then a follow up on that link it has this:

bsilman writes on 2007-09-01 03:52:24

The picture was an insert in the Washington Herald Times newspaper in 1937. They are printed autographs and depending on the condition of the picture it could be worth over $500. I have one that is in ok condition (4 pin holes and some yellowing of the paper) and it is worth over $400.

looks like you might of made a good deal, mostly with it being framed

also check with this ES member bsilman

he posted this:

May-16th-2007, 11:26 AM

I'm in the process of turning my basement into a Redskins room. My favorite items so far:

1) 1937 Washington Redskins team panoramic photograph with printed signatures that was an insert in the 1937 Washington Herald Times

2) Darrell Green autographed jersey

3) Football with autographs from Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Marcus Washington, Bruce Smith, Lavar Arrington.

Moorecards

Thanks for the great info. My curiousity got the best of me and I opened it up. It is a copy, it is made out of photography paper. It is not the newspaper. It does say "TEAMSHERT PHOTO, Official Redskins Photographer"

It was very dirty and grimy. The glass took a while to clean.

So, then it is not worth 200.00? Thanks for the info

The reprint of the picture is common. I can buy them all day long at autograph events in say Chantilly for a nominal fee. I have no idea but it would cost, I would say under $50.

Not sure if yours has any value or not. It is a common reprint. If you have an original photo it may be worth something. If its a reprint, you paid too much.

Archived