Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New draft taking into account FAs & trades

Rabblerouser

Searle's NFL Draft Arena

Thanks to the Redskins shopping spree - I've revamped the draft a bit. The only portion I will not touch is my Free Agent predictions because I am seeing how well I did when its all said and done - as of now I really did well predicting the Redskins pickups. I will continuously update where the free agents go to however - in the new section.

1st round:

7. Washington Redskins (from Minnesota) - Terrell Suggs - DE - Arizona State [Trade involves Washington's 1st and 5th round picks in 2003 along with a 2nd and 3rd round in 2004 *I don't think they'll lose the 5th rounder because the Jets will retain Morton*]

Okay - so personally I think this is way too much to go out and get the guy they covet - but remember - the compensatory pick for Davis next year is going to be high so that should benefit a lot. The Redskins have basically done everything in their power to get the players that they need so trading up isn't bad - and they'll still retain the 2nd round pick. All that you have to say is the impact that Julius Peppers made last year (without the ephedra).

2nd round:

45. Washington Redskins - Tyrone Calico - WR - Middle Tennessee State

Homerun hitter - the big, speedy David Boston type wide receiver. He's got the small school background like Terrell Owens - and if he's half as good as those guys then he's an All-Pro and All-World in this offense.

3rd Round:

77. Washington Redskins - Anthony Adams - DT - Penn State

Hmm...suddenly Washington's line looks pretty good considering the upgrade and the youth. If they can retain Daryl Gardener they would have Haynes, Adams, Gardener, and Wynn with Smith, Jackson, Powell, and Cowsette for depth. Not too shabby.

5th round:

135. Washington Redskins (from New England through Dallas) - Jimmy Wilkerson - DE - Oklahoma

Speed off of the defensive end position - and a phenomenal work ethic. Fun guy too that will be good in the locker room - now if only that could swoon Tommie Harris into playing for Washington next year when he declares - salty.

6th round: We don't have a pick in this round do we?

176. Washington Redskins - Kevin Curtis - WR - Utah State

Another speed guy for the Fun and Gun - but the jury is out about whether or not he can catch.

7th round:

214. Washington Redskins (from Miami) - Sultan McCullough - RB/KR - USC

Big time speed - 4.1 40 yd dash and clocked at 10.1 in the 100 meter dash. McCullough has the thing that there is no defense for - and that is breakaway speed. The knock on him as a running back is his ability to hit the hole - however, he can be used as a running back screen/slot receiver and kick returner on Spurrier's team. All this kid needs is a lane and he's gone.

What do you think? :notworthy

Suggs won't drop to 7th, and Kevin Curtis is projected as a mid 2nd rounder, so no way he slips to the 6th.

I like taking DL in the first and WR in the 2nd though. I'm for DT in the 1st (w/o trading up) i.e. Joseph, WR in the 2nd Kelley Washington or Curtis or Calico; and DE in the 3rd - so I guess we're sorta on the same page. :cheers:

I like who we get, though I'm not sure I like the cost of Suggs. But they threw in one of my two boys (in the words of PTI), Tyrone Calico (the other being Kelley Washington). Personally, I'd like to see us grab a behemoth of a DT in free agency, like Gilbert Brown, so we can trade down in the first, get Washington at our lower pick, then grab Calico in the second and the best player at our spots from their out. But, sadly, that's not all that likey.

Damn, I love this draft. I'm not sure if Suggs drops this far, either, though.

However, there might be a lot of movement at the top of the draft. I think the targets might be the top couple of quarterback, cornerbacks, and offensive tackles. And a team that wants a defensive lineman might opt for Kennedy in the middle instead of Suggs. It's even possible that Dewayne Robertson sneaks up there, too, since DTs are all the rage. If that's the case, Suggs could drop. It's not inconceivable.

I'm starting to like Calico. He's awfully raw, but he's got those kind of measurables that could cause problems for cornerbacks, even as a rookie. The comparisons to Terrell Owens aren't off base.

I love Adams. He'd be a perfect third tackle. He's capable of starting, too. Not the biggest guy in the world, but nobody has a better motor. Did anyone noticed how he absolutely schooled Vince Manuwai in the Senior Bowl?

Wilkerson is one of several pass rushing DEs the Skins could look at in this area. The Skins really need to improve their speed on the DL, even if it comes in the form of role players.

Curtis won't last 'til the 6th round, but I think he's a reach in the 2nd. 3rd or 4th round is more like it. I'm not a big Curtis fan, though. He's kind of straight line-ish, and I don't know if he's physical enough for the NFL.

This would be a great draft, in my opinion.

If we trade with Minny it will be for Johnson. I doubt he'll drop to 7, but if he does, the deal will be done when Minny is on the clock. We can't risk the Jags jumping up to #6 and grabbing Johnson before us, after we've sacrificed our first rounder and probably Smoot.

I seriously doubt we'll take Suggs. The FO has barely shown any interest in him at all.

All of this is dependent on whether the Jets match our offer to Coles, of course, which the probably won't. Therefore the points above are moot. :)

Archived