Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox360 Ring of Red Lights - Come and Go?

redskins4life234

So this just happened to me. I'm moving my console up stairs from downstairs as my dad was on the downstairs tv. I plug it in, I didn't shake or drop it, nothing bad. I go to turn it on, I get those damn red lights. Im like ****. I turn it off, try again, same thing. I think turn the console on its side, turn it on, It turns on fine goes to the dashboard. I turn it off turn it back to normal side, goes to dashboard.

So pretty much, has this happened to anyone, and why? Was it just an error, or did turning it somehow fix it?

Also, if this makes a difference, I didn't have the tv adapter cord thing plugged into the console, and I plugged it in, after turning it off, so was the red lights just saying an error its not plugged in?

EDIT: I guess it is just saying its not plugged in, as I turned it off, took it out, turned it back on, red lights came, plugged it in, lights went away.. Some scare they gave me

I had something similar happen to me. I was playing Tiger Woods 2006 and it froze up. Then for a while it would play, then stop and give me the Red Ring of Death. Just call Microsoft and let em know what happened, they'll mail you a box with a return label so you can get your system fixed. Whole process took about 3 weeks for me.

Yeah, I don't think you actually got the "Red Rings of Death". Here's a website that explains some of the error codes and what they mean: http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-error-codes.htm

Just because it's a red light, doesn't mean the console is dead. Once with a friend's 360, red lights came on, but it was just because the AV cable wasn't attached all the way in. The red lights are just an indication of some error with the 360 when it boots up or in use. Still, it's a good idea to be aware of any potential issues.

is this normally only related to online play when the red ring appears?

because i haven't played live, but i'm still scared that eventually it's gonna **** up and and i'm gonna have to go ****ing ballistic and ****ing destroy it even worse than it would ****ing already be.

:P

but yeah, it scares me, technically i'm not playing it so much, waiting for grand theft auto 4 to come out. been waitin' goddamn forever! :mad:

also resident evil 5.

I just got a 360 and its new and all green but I heard about these rings of death...what causes them and what can I do to avoid it?
the REALLY bad ring of death is caused by hardware failure inside the console. in the back on the manual there is a guide explaining what each different sequence means.

as for prevention, just make sure you do basic maintenace on the thing (i.e. keep it clear of dust, well ventilated, don't move it while its operating etc).

I just got a 360 and its new and all green but I heard about these rings of death...what causes them and what can I do to avoid it?

I believe the main cause is from the design of the Xbox 360, where the heatsinks weren't properly designed to handle the heat that the system gives off. Now they're using a better smaller chip design, that theoretically should have less issues. You should make sure it's in an open ventilated area.

I use a small stand fan (not the intercooler that's been said to cause even more problems). If you don't have a fan, or don't want to buy one, then just make sure that there's room for the Xbox 360. Another idea is to put some small things to raise the console up to allow more airflow around it (this is what I have to do with my 17" Dell laptop, that otherwise needs the fans at high speed to not overheat). Also, try not to use the 360 for too long all the time.

I've had a 360 since July (bought used, so it was made in 2006), and haven't really had any issues with it. Never froze or crashed once. Only thing is sometimes I have to press the power button twice for it to boot-up (first time just lights up green, but doesn't load up).

Just be a little careful with it, because there have been reliability issues in general, but hopefully you won't have any problems.

Archived