Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Meeks Meet

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/29/AR2008012903040.html

Meeks Feels His First Talk With Redskins 'Went Well'

Wednesday, January 30, 2008; E02

Indianapolis Colts assistant coach Ron Meeks was scheduled to have a second interview yesterday for the Washington Redskins' head coaching vacancy.

Owner Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, were expected to meet with Meeks, who runs the Colts' defense, in Indianapolis. Snyder usually conducts long interviews with coaching candidates, and Meeks's first session on Jan. 17 lasted more than 10 hours.

"I just appreciate that Mr. Snyder and Vinny are giving me an opportunity to move forward in the process of the Redskins getting their next coach," Meeks said before meeting with the Redskins. "I felt that my first interview went well. I'm looking forward to speaking with them again."

Former assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams and former New York Giants coach Jim Fassell are the other candidates who have had multiple interviews. Williams, no longer under consideration to replace Joe Gibbs, recently was released to pursue other jobs.

Meeks, who coached Redskins defensive backs in the 2000 season, just completed his sixth season as the Colts' defensive coordinator. Indianapolis ranked third in the league in total defense this season and was ranked second against the pass. . . .

Click link for full story

Archived