Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC helps offense;DC helps Def.;HC helps?

BthatRAD09

i have been very curious about this; if the offensive coordinator runs the offense and DC runs defense, what does a head coach do. i know they (HC)can have an influence like gibbs did with having saunders call conservative plays, but other than that and possibly a pregame speech, what does a HC have to do? it seems like a necessary cuz u cant not have a head of the team yet pointless. or am i mistaken with something?

and i hope i dont get bashed for this; just saying what ive been wondering

Head coach keeps everybody happy and working together.

Titles though are largely that, titles.

Some offensive coordinators have their playbook and they can plays from it. Sometimes they call plays from the Head coaches playbook. Sometimes the Head coach calls plays from the offensive coordinators playbook. Sometimes you have a head coach who calls plays from his own playbook yet there is still a coordinator for offense (or defense) on the team.

Sometimes a GM is just a director of pro personnel. Sometimes the GM truly runs the whole show.

To me, a head coach, first and foremost, is the steadying influence over a team. He is supposed to direct everyones efforts toward whatever goals the team has. If the team wants to be a running team first and foremost, he gets players on the same page and fosters team unity.

In regards to those titles, it's all funny money really, the only thing they should clue you in to is the persons level on the power rung and not exactly what the do or don't do.

Head coach keeps everybody happy and working together.

Titles though are largely that, titles.

Some offensive coordinators have their playbook and they can plays from it. Sometimes they call plays from the Head coaches playbook. Sometimes the Head coach calls plays from the offensive coordinators playbook. Sometimes you have a head coach who calls plays from his own playbook yet there is still a coordinator for offense (or defense) on the team.

Sometimes a GM is just a director of pro personnel. Sometimes the GM truly runs the whole show.

To me, a head coach, first and foremost, is the steadying influence over a team. He is supposed to direct everyones efforts toward whatever goals the team has. If the team wants to be a running team first and foremost, he gets players on the same page and fosters team unity.

In regards to those titles, it's all funny money really, the only thing they should clue you in to is the persons level on the power rung and not exactly what the do or don't do.

Those are good answers. I still don't see how that is worth paying someone a million dollars. Geez. Head Coach gets paid way too much money as do the players.

Archived