Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Answers to today's questions.

Art

Tomorrow's Post article is out and linked on the front page of the site in the news section. It answers many of the questions we have. First, the team is still talking with Lewis. They are questioning whether they want to try Morton due to the contract value. They have committment for an appropriate level fifth rounder if they decide to make this move. I have no idea what that means, but it sounds like there'd be another trade made.

The team, ideally, wants BOTH Dyson and Patrick Johnson. In such a case it would be hard to imagine receiver being the draft priority, though Johnson is hardly the greatest prize in the world, though he is fast.

I dont like to keep beating a dead horse, but I think Bruce Branch who is already on the roster for only $225k, should be given 1st crack. Then there is also Charlie Rogers, a very good kick and punt returner, who is available as a FA. If we could sign Jermaine Lewis it would save us a draft pick, but probably cost us more pesos. :laugh:

Is Dyson really that much better then Derius Thompson would have been? Dyson is frequently injured and has never had more then 54 receptions -- the same as Derrius -- although Dyson does get into the end zone more frequently. Personally Dyson's acquisition I think would be a wash here.

Johnson is a former track man who ran a 10.23 - 100 meter dash -but he has been inconsistent so for. I suppose if he doesn't cost very much, he could be our #4 or #5 wide receiver. But is he any better then say Jacquez Green was last year? Nope. Green did have 4 or 5 - 100 yard receiving games in his career and was a good punt returner. I wish we had kept him, but I think there was a personality clash, when he didn't get what he thought was a fair chance to start. :D

Just my 2 cents. :D

Johnson didn't do much in Jax last year. In fact, across from Jimmy Smith and with coverages rolling his way, you would have thought Johnson would have faced quite a bit of single coverage and he still didn't produce.

I'm totally neutral on Dyson. Hate his injury history and suspect on his speed, like his experience and wonder whether he fit the offense in TN.

Inmate,

I hope someone on the roster turns out to be capable too. My guess is Wood**** but only because seeing Branch made me realize that while you're beating a dead horse, that man ran like one. He was slow and indecisive. He looked stuck in mud on the returns he had. He'd have to do a lot to make me love him. I like the idea of adding Morton or Lewis as known qualities. I like Lewis more due to the cheaper cost. I really would prefer someone on the roster step up though.

You are right about Dyson and Thompson being, largely, a push. The one advantage to Dyson might be that he'd start the season as a somewhat known player who may draw some attention from the beginning. Thompson didn't do anything at all really until the final six weeks. Dyson, for that reason, may be a better player from the start of the year as compared to Thompson. More, Thompson and Gardner and McCants are awfully similar players. Dyson adds a slightly different dimension that may benefit us. At this point though, I'd be happy keeping Thompson :).

Patrick Johnson would just be another young player with speed to work in. Is he better than Green? Green got cut, so you'd hope so. You'd think if Green was good, we'd bring him back instead of going for Johnson and if Spurrier doesn't want one of his boys that should tell you what you need to know :).

Compare Green's 5 year career to Johnson's 5 year career:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=4301

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12405

Green did more in his first 2 years (or his 3rd+4th years) than Johnson has done in his career.

What's most disturbing about Johnson is that he has only played 48 of a possible 80 games.

Archived