Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we trade our 1st(08') for a teams 1st(09'),what other pick could we get in 08'?

michael_33

I found some recent trades from drafts past so we can see how these things usually go down. Of course you need a trading partner but anyway here is what I found:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=419799

Draft Day Trades

Posted: April 30, 2006

1. St. Louis traded its first-round (No. 11) pick to Denver for the Broncos' first- (No. 15) and third-round (No. 68) picks. Denver took Jay Cutler, qb, Vanderbilt. St. Louis took Tye Hill, db, Clemson and Claude Wroten, dt, LSU.

2. Cleveland traded its first-round (No. 12) pick to Baltimore for the Ravens' first- (No. 13) and sixth-round (No. 181) pick. Baltimore took Haloti Ngata, dt, Oregon. Cleveland took Kamerion Wimbley, de, Florida State.

3. New York Giants traded their first-round (No. 25) pick to Pittsburgh for the Steelers' first- (No. 32), third- (No. 96) and fourth-round (No. 129) picks. Pittsburgh took Santonio Holmes, wr, Ohio State. New York took Mathias Kiwanuka, de, Boston College and Gerris Wilkinson, lb, Georgia Tech.

4. Chicago traded its first-round (No. 26) pick to Buffalo for the Bills' second- (No. 42) and third-round (No. 73) picks. Buffalo took John McCargo, dt, N.C. State. Chicago took Danieal Manning, db, Abilene Christian and Dusty Dvoracek, dt, Oklahoma.

5. New Orleans traded its second-round (No. 34) pick to Cleveland for the Browns' second-round (No. 43) and C Jeff Fayne. Cleveland took D'Qwell Jackson, lb, Maryland. New Orleans took Roman Harper, db, Alabama.

6. New York Jets traded their second-round (No. 35) pick to Washington for the Redskins' second- (No. 53), sixth-round (No. 189) picks and a 2007 second-round pick. Washington took Rocky McIntosh, lb, Miami. New York traded the (No. 53) pick to Dallas.

7. Green Bay traded its second-round (No. 36) pick to New England for the Patriots' second- (No. 52) and third-round (No. 75) picks. New England took Chad Jackson, wr, Florida. Green Bay took Greg Jennings, wr, Western Michigan and Jason Spitz, g, Louisville.

8. Denver traded its second-round (No. 37) pick to the Denver Broncos for WR Javon Walker. Green Bay traded the (No. 37) pick to Atlanta.

9. Green Bay traded its second- (No. 37) and fifth-round (No. 139) picks to Atlanta for the Falcons' second- (No. 47), third- (No. 93) and fifth-round (No. 148) picks. Atlanta took Jimmy Williams, db, Virginia Tech. Green Bay took Daryn Colledge, ot, Boise State, traded (No. 93) pick to St. Louis.

10. Tennessee traded its second-round (No. 39) pick to Philadelphia for the Eagles' second- (No. 45) and fourth-round (No. 116) picks. Philadelphia took Winston Justice, ot, USC. Tennessee took LenDale White, rb, USC.

11. Baltimore traded its second-round (No. 44) pick to the New York Giants for the Giants' second- (No. 56) and third-round (No. 87) picks. New York took Sinorice Moss, wr, Miami. Baltimore took Chris Chester, c, Oklahoma and David Pittman, db, Northwestern State.

12. Dallas traded its second-round (No. 49) pick to the New York Jets for the Jets' second- (No. 53), sixth- (No. 189) and seventh-round (No. 211) picks. New York took Kellen Clemens, qb, Oregon. Dallas took Anthony Fasano, te, Notre Dame.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=2041490

Saints-Texans

Saints get: Houston's first-round pick (No. 13 overall) and selected OT Jammal Brown.

Texans get: New Orleans' first-round pick (No. 16 overall) and selected DT Travis Johnson. They also get New Orleans' third-round pick in 2006.

Scouts Inc. analysis

Pre-Draft Trades

Dolphins-Chiefs

Dolphins get: Chiefs' second-round pick (No. 46 overall), which they used to select DE Matt Roth, and fifth-round pick (No. 147).

Chiefs get: Dolphins CB Patrick Surtain and a fifth-round pick (No. 138), which they used to select LB James Grigsby.

Scouts Inc. analysis

Broncos-Redskins

Redskins get: Denver's first-round pick (No. 25), which is used to select QB Jason Campbell.

Broncos get: Washington's third-round pick (No. 76) they used to select CB Karl Paymah, and first- and fourth-round picks in next year's draft.

Scouts Inc. analysis

Jets-Raiders

Raiders get: Jets' first-round pick (No. 26), which they used to select CB Fabian Washington, and seventh-round pick (No. 230), which they later traded.

Jets get: Raiders TE Doug Jolley, a second-round pick (No. 47 overall), which they used to select K Mike Nugent, and two sixth-round picks (No. 182 and No. 185), which they used to select RB Cedric Houston and traded the other pick.

Scouts Inc. analysis

Raiders-Texans

Raiders get: Houston's second-round (No. 47), which they later traded, and third-round (No. 78), which they used to select LB Kirk Morrison.

Texans get: Raiders cornerback Phillip Buchanon.

Scouts Inc. analysis

Only one problem with this whole discussion. Why in the world would a team like Miami want our low first round pick this year in exchange for a likely high first round pick next year AND a third round (quality pick) to boot?? Reminds me of the Champ Bailey deal.

I was really curious about this for a couple of reasons...

1)I know we will somehow find a way to get out of cap problems this season,but it would allow us to keep core players by not having a 1st this year to sign.

2)The free agents are pretty good this year and I think we could grab a few players that our front office would like to fit our system,with players like Springs and others possibly on the chop block.

3)I'm assuming we will have most of our picks this year except the 1st if we were to trade it away for a 1st in 09'....I like the idea of stockpiling a couple a 1sts for the 09 season,since I think it will be a better draft class and plus we will be without our 4th rounder on the Pete Kendall trade.

Which leads me to ask...What other pick would or could we get by trading our #1 this season for that particular teams #1 in 09?

Like would they give us a 3rd this season or something like that since future picks are always valued less than picks during that up and coming season...

Cause I was thinking....What if we traded to a team like for example MIAMI,who really could use a bunch a picks to improve that team in a hurry...

What if we just gave them our #1(21st) this year for their #1(?) next year in 09'?BUT...they also throw in their 3rd rounder this year (top high pick)?

Would you do it?I mean...Would you like that idea,even though the 1st would be boring for us without one?

we would still have a 2nd,(two=example Miami&skins) 3rds,4th,5th,6th,7th...I'm assuming..?

We would still get some quality players and depth,but just not that blue chipper...Heck...Maybe a stud drops in the 2nd round for us...

Then in 09' we would have two 1st rounders and probably a high one,since the Dolphins would probably still suck!

Should the team try to do this?Is a 3rd to much to get or not enough in that kind of deal...and what team would consider this if not Miami?

Thank you for reading my rambling!! :cheers:

1. A low 1st round pick is not exorbitant. The dropoff in salaries is roughly exponential as you leave the top 10 of the first round.

2. Free agents are rarely more economical than draft picks. So saying lets save cap space by not drafting and signing FAs is moronic. FAs are, generally speaking, more expensive than draft picks. Maybe you should apply for a job as a Redskins cap assistant. Peas in a pod.

3. Miami is run by Bill Parcells, who understands the importace of building through the draft, and will not mortgage the future for today. Unlike us, he understands that successful franchises value picks above all else, and must draft well year after year to remain good or get good. Once you are good, FAs can be obtained at more reasonable rates because they want to come there. (See New England, and our approach, the exact opposite) Num-nutted teams like us and the 49ers are the only types of teams that do that.

4. That having been said, we are still two good drafts, and another developmental year for Campbell, away from being a real SB competitor. It would be great to see us do what Cowboys did, for example, exploit a needy team and amass picks. But a new coach is not a new GM, and you still have Snyder and Cerrato calling the shots in this department, so don't expect a radical change in philosophy.

5. The reason teams usually want a lot to trade a current 1st round pick for a future one is because the NFL has such parity that you can't be sure who will be the sleeper playoff team next year. You can't be sure what the future pick will be, and want a premium in trade for assuming that risk. With a #21 pick, it is much less huge than giving up something higher, but it is still a risk.

6. The question you have to ask, is who is running personnel decisions. We honestly don't know now. Gibbs seemed to hit at least some of time, but he is gone. If Cerrato and Danny are back in charge, it won't matter, because we'll be back to never finding gems, and never having depth or cheap starters. All the picks in the world don't matter if you can't select good players with them.

7. But in general, I think you are right, we should be looking to trade down, and into the future, to amass more picks, so we have young depth rather than dinosaurs, and can fill the large number of needs we have. We need 2 or 3 drafts with 5 or more first day picks, and 8-10 picks total. You can find starting guards, posession WRs, back-up QBs, etc. with more late 1st day picks, and fill the roster with talented youth.

8. History suggests this will never happen as long as Cerrato/Snyder in charge. They are too neurotic about wanting to win now, at the cost of the future, to ever embrace such an approach, and I think teams still feel like they can exploit this, which historically they have. (IE Portis for Bailey AND 2nd rounder trade, Lloyd trade, Duckett trade, etc., ad nauseum).

Only one problem with this whole discussion. Why in the world would a team like Miami want our low first round pick this year in exchange for a likely high first round pick next year AND a third round (quality pick) to boot?? Reminds me of the Champ Bailey deal.

I does seem unlikely but the Browns did it last year. They way overpaid for the cowboys first rounder. You never know what player will drop and the desperation of one team could do. Remember during the draft everyone expected this years Browns team to suck and thought dallas got a top 5 pick in that trade for dropping down basically 12 slots or so.

Here are some trades that would be nice to happen for us...

---------------------------------------------------------

"Redskins trade their 1st round 08'pick (#21) and Brandon Lloyd to the Miami Dolphins for their 1st round pick in 09',4th round pick in 09',2nd round pick in 08' and their 3rd round pick in 08'"(giving Redskins 2nd,2nd,3rd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th round picks in 08' and a 1st rounder as well as a 4th rounder in 09' making up for the Pete Kendall trade that will cost a 4th rounder in 09')

or

"Redskins trade Shawn Springs and Phillip Daniels to the Bengals and their 08' 1st round pick(#21) for Chad Johnson and their 1st round pick in 09' along with a 4th rounder in 08'"

or

My favorite....The Redskins trade Brandon Lloyd and their 08' 1st round pick(#21) to the Kansas City Chiefs for their 1st rounder in 09,'2nd rounder in 08',4th rounder in 09' and Brodie Croyle...(also:the Redskins sign FA Jared Allen to 7 year 49 million dollar deal)

Kind of FYI,

We cannot trade BL before June 1st, it would cost us about 5.5 million in cap space over post June 1st.

Archived