Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs heading to another funeral. (please read)

slinky

for Wendell W. Kempton

wendell_kempton.jpg

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/214938

"Among the athletes expected to attend the funeral are Phillies players Mike Schmidt, Garry Maddox and Bob Boone; recently retired Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, and former 76ers Doug Collins, Bobby Jones and Pat Williams, now general manager of the Miami Heat."

Wendell apparently did Chaplin services for the Redskins this year... I bet he was influential with Sean! (Now they get to reunite in Heaven :)

(found this reference)

From Coach Ron Bishop:

On Sunday morning I received three calls. Joe Jordan, E. C. Haskell, and Michael Loftis called me to tell me Wendell Kempton had gone home to be with the Lord.

Wendell Kempton was an early-riser every morning. On Sunday, he got up to go home to Jesus. GLORY!!

The funeral is in Lancaster, PA on Friday. Please pray for Ruth and the family.

I will always love Wendell. Wendell was a mentor. I heard from him constantly. He was my coach. Wendell was a preacher, evangelist, missionary, executive, coach, businessman. He was a friend! As a matter of fact, Wendell made everyone feel like they were his friend. Dr. Michael Loftis said it correctly, “Wendell had 10,000 best friends!”

I do not know anyone who loved people in the sports world more than Wendell. He ministered to Joe Gibbs, Julius “Dr. J” Erving, Bob Boone, Mike Schmidt, Bobby Jones, and so many more. This year he did chapel for the Washington Redskins. I saw him captivate 160 men in the Dominican Republic this past November. Wendell was a gifted communicator who related to people “in my world”.

Wendell Kempton left this world with honor, integrity, testimony, and a legacy as “a man of God”!! He left his mark on me. I pray that I can pick up a splinter of the baton that he passed and finish the race as he did!

For more on Wendell, go to the ABWE website.

'til the nets are full,

Ron Bishop

President

Archived