Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Search for a HC - Petitbone

evaflowin

I've been trying to look around for an answer but couldn't fine one.

When Gibbs first retired, did we even look around for a new HC or did Petitbone automatically get it?

He led a punishing D and even though I was only like 9, i'm pretty sure there was a strong push from the players and eryone in the org. to get him promoted, and it sounds kinda familiar with GW now.

I think Petitbone got the short end of the stick after we ended up.. 4-12 i think? He shoulda gotten another shot at it instead of bringing in Norv. and all this talk about Jason Garret just reminded me even more about that, cuz I was pretty angry we hired a cowboy to be our head coach.

ok, a short rant, but yeah, my original question was, were there any other candidates that we were REALLY looking at besides Petitbone back then??

My best memory of Petitbone was beating the Cowboys on opening day. It went downhill from there.

The thing about Petitbone, that I remember at least, was his lack of attention to detail. He just didn't seem to have the same work ethic that JKC was used to seeing in Gibbs. I was not unhappy to see Petitbone leave.

Damn.

I think it was meant as a positive thing - like a passing of the torch kind of thing. Petitbon was a Gibbs guy, and Gibbs really felt like he was leaving the organization in good shape.

Truth is, Petitbon may have eventually turned out to be a good head coach. We will never know because he inherited a rough situation: a rapidly-aging, well-paid team in a league that was about to hit total free agency...

EDIT: I don't think any head coach could have made that 1994 team any good.

He got screwed, plain and simple.

He was the sacrificial lamb for Casserly's incompetence at handling the new salary cap -the Skins had far and away the highest payroll pre-cap, and were something like 40% over when it was implemented. JKC was the ONLY owner who voted AGAINST the salary cap, and the Skins players were actually hurt financially by the cap and free agency. Casserly had to gut the roster overnight, Gibbs' costliest ever draft pick Desmond Howard was a bust, and Ryp was completely over the hill.

In short, Petitbon made the best of having one of the worst rosters in the league and a slew of injuries thanks to the overabundance of aging vets. Casserly and Cooke had a big-time crush on Norvo the Clown, and were trying to recreate the magic of firing Pardee for Gibbs. :(

damn.. that still really sucks..

- get the job of having to follow up Joe Gibbs.

- having to lead a team that wasn't so good (but whose fanbase still has SB thoughts)

- get all your restaurants in the DC area shut down.

- never to be seen in the NFL again.

The major difference between the two is that Gregg Willaims has a young team to build upon with cheaper young talent that we can keep around, while the team Pettibone inherited was way past its prime, and apparently was gutted due to the salary cap.

We're over the salary cap now, but unlike then we have been pretty **** good at managing the salary cap with restructuring contracts and all. I think we'll be fine.

The similarities from then to now are eerie. JG retires unexpectedly after a short playoff run. A defensive coordinator ready to take over a team that needs to do a little work on player salaries to get under the cap. A hot Dallas coordinator leading one of the best offenses in the league that might be ready for a head coaching job very soon.

Stay tuned...

He got screwed, plain and simple.

He was the sacrificial lamb for Casserly's incompetence at handling the new salary cap -the Skins had far and away the highest payroll pre-cap, and were something like 40% over when it was implemented. JKC was the ONLY owner who voted AGAINST the salary cap, and the Skins players were actually hurt financially by the cap and free agency. Casserly had to gut the roster overnight, Gibbs' costliest ever draft pick Desmond Howard was a bust, and Ryp was completely over the hill.

In short, Petitbon made the best of having one of the worst rosters in the league and a slew of injuries thanks to the overabundance of aging vets. Casserly and Cooke had a big-time crush on Norvo the Clown, and were trying to recreate the magic of firing Pardee for Gibbs. :(

this is the way I remembered it. - Also, if I remember correctly, Gibbs announced his retirement late - like mid to late February, so it would have been slim pikens to hire from the outside anyway.

The similarities from then to now are eerie. JG retires unexpectedly after a short playoff run. A defensive coordinator ready to take over a team that needs to do a little work on player salaries to get under the cap. A hot Dallas coordinator leading one of the best offenses in the league that might be ready for a head coaching job very soon.

Stay tuned...

thats what im sayin.. god i hope we dont offer nothin to jason garrett. not even a phone call. i dont care how talented he is in bein a OC. he's a cowboy. :dallasuck

The BIG reason Petitbon got the job was because Gibbs stepped down in March instead of immediately after the season. That gave the team EXTREMELY little time to do a full coaching search and prepare adequately for any resulting changes. Thus, Petitbon, who deserved it, IMO, was elevated.

Good points all, Riggo.

I have always felt like Richie got shafted here. He did not have nearly the time or circumstances to overhaul this team. I would have liked to have seen him got a longer shot, particularly in light of who they chose to replace him.

Archived