Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2007 Redskins....

pgray1111

First off, I'd like to say to the organization and the team, great job this year. There were so many ups and downs, I won't even bother to get in to it, but when it mattered most, this team pulled it together and really layed it all on the line. I've been a skins fan since I was born (28 years) and this is one year that I'll never ever forget.

Second, after watching the game last night, was I the only one who was almost relieved? I wanted these guys to win that game more than anything, but now they get a chance to exhale and relax, and these guys deserve that, everyone from the owner down to the gatorade guy deserve a break.

Okay, now here's the real meaning of this post. I didn't think this would fit into any one specific topic, so I'm deciding to start a new one.

I think you could view last night's game as a microcosm of this entire season. We got down at the beginning and had to fight our way back, but in the end we just didn't have it and lost the thing. Nothing to be ashamed of, I don't think anyone didn't play their butt off and the seahawks walked out of there a little more worse for wear than when they walked in. Now, it's time to look over this team and address what it so desperately needs, and address what's already there that looks very bright for our future.

First off, I like the prospect of having Collins as a BACKUP. I was never one of the people who immediately thought that he could replace campbell, and last night showed me why. I say we start fresh next year with campbell in place, another year wiser and stronger and hopefull more educated in the system. Keep collins, and bring in a young prospect to become collins eventual successor. Campbell is the future of this team, and there is no reason to think otherwise.

Second, running backs. I'm completely satisfied with this position, portis and betts are a great rotation, and I see no reason to break that up, keep it going. Sellers is an excellent fullback, but how many more years does he realistically have left. We need to address this in the draft, and if we can somehow get this guy, Owen Schmitt out of WVU, I say we go for it. He seems like a guy who plays with alot of heart, and looks tough as hell. I don't think we get rid of seller, but if this kid drops out of the first round, or lower, we take him for the future.

Third, receivers. I like the guys we have, but let's face it, we need to get bigger at this position. Moss and Randle el are a nice duo, but who would like to see a 6'5" dude lining up alongside them? They have Anthony mix in there, and he's a terrific special teams player, but can he play the WR position? Caldwell has been fantastic in his role as well. Let's look at Mcardell and Thrash as done. We need some youth at this position, and if not, let's make a move for someone. Matt Jones is on the outs in Jacksonville, so let's see if we can trade for him, or wait and see if he gets cut. The guys is huge, and maybe just needs a little motivation to play better.

O-line. All that needs to be said is depth, we need it. THese guys held it together after the injuries, but it would have been nice to have some more veterans who could have stepped in. Heyer impressed the hell out of me in his role, and he's definitely the eventual replacement for Jansen.

defense. the only thing I'd change is to also add more depth. I think at the corner position, we should get a couple young guys who can learn from the vets who we have there right now. Springs has been great, but it's inevitable that he will eventually lose a step, same with smoot. Hopefully rogers comes back healthy and can continue improving, but we need some studs in there, and I think that can be addressed in the draft. As for the safety position, I LOVE doughty and landry. They're both young, and play their butts off every week. These two could be a tandem for a long time, so just in case, let's get a couple vets behind them. Prioleau has dissapointed me this season. He played solid, but the big plays he gave up were not just big they were HUGE. The TD in dallas, and the TD last night were backbreakers, someone with more speed and tackling ability could have made a difference there.

Linebackers. Nice rotation we have there now, once again, look at the depth. I don't know what happened to Trucks and Sartz from the preseason, but if they're healthy, get them back in here, or try the draft out again. We're seeing all over the league that there are a bunch of late round or undrafted guys who are making an impact.

D-Line. These guys played great this year. I like the youth we have, and we just need to add more. Carter played great this season, and we need that to happen again next year, he never stops, and that's what someone at his position needs to do. Daniels looked great too, but I've got to say, Chris Wilson just suprised the hell out of me. Wrap this guy up now, because he knows how to play that spot. There are a few DE's coming out in the draft this year, and I believe a few available in free agency, take a look. After seeing what the seahawks did last night, I was a little jealous.

The tackles are set, get a few guys as depth, but these guys looks good. If you can get a huge guy in the draft, take him.

Overall, this team is ready to take the next step. We have most of the pieces in place, and as long as they keep the core together, I think we'll be fine. All skins fans should keep their heads up, this team will make even more noise next season. If you liked the press we got leading up to the seahawks game, be prepared because next season, it's going to be like that ten times over.

Great post, I pretty much agree with all of it. I'd like to see us address DE first in the draft and then just go OL and DL the rest of the way. We badly need depth/starting competition in the trenches.

Other stuff could be available via FA, Bryant Johnson would be a good big WR, and a steal too. He would come cheap.

Fantastic post, I agree with everything for the most part. I wouldn't touch Matt Jones though, we don't need to overpay for guys that aren't producing. We need to address everything in the draft, and maybe small piecies via free agency, just please don't overpay for any aging vets. We are on the right track!

Yeah, I only think we go for matt jones if he's available via free agency or for a late round draft pick. There's no reason to overpay for him because he has vastly under-performed during his career. The main reason I like this guy is because of how valuable he COULD be to a team. He's shown flashes of brilliance at the WR position. Granted, they've been few and far between, but the games when he was on, he was really ON. Plus, he's a tough matchup due to his size. He could step in at TE if he had to, and in an emergency, play QB.

I do agree however that we should try to stock both sides of the lines of scrimmage. I watch so many games where guys make a huge impact and you do some research on them and they were taken in like the 4th round, while guys like Robert Gallery are taken at the top of the draft and are just dissapointing. Look at our team, our roster is littered with late round guys, and undrafted players, and they play their asses off.

There are a bunch of talented guys coming up in the draft though, it should be real interesting to see who we choose in the draft though. I know it's early, but it's still fun.

as for the post talking about collins. I think the guy is awesome, he's your textbook QB. However, I think collins upside is limited. Campbell has so much upside it's not even funny. Look at last night's game for instance. How many times could campell have scrambled and made a play out of nothing. How many downfield throws could he have attempted that Collins arm just didn't have. Like I said, Collins is a perfect backup, hopefully he will never have to play again ;) but if he does, we know that he CAN. We just have so much invested in campbell, there's no reason to take that away because he was injured.

Archived