Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GW's gameplan

NJskinner

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on how our defense should hold up this weekend. I know the statistical ranks are in Seattle's favor, but that topic has been well addressed on this board. I'm more concerned with how well GW has drew up game plans to defend a one dimensional offense. Not everyone on this board is a big fan of GW, I for one am. I think he can assume the role of head coach rather well once gibbs decides to move on. But to my knowledge he has negated some explosive offenses that were one dimensional. ie: detroit, GB. To his credit, he deveated from his normal scheme (blitz happy) to address certain needs. What are your thoughts?

I think GW is going to steal the show. Not sure how, but he has been game planning out of his mind the last few weeks.

Breaking out the 4-4 and 4-6, putting carter on the other side, letting smoot and SS play man to man, starting landry off at the LoS and then have him dart back into deep coverage.

Don't be surprised if we see Springs get his first sack this weekend.

I think GW is going to do some crazy stuff to stop Hassleback and I think it might involve putting lineman into coverage to stop the short stuff.

Blitz and shut down Alexander early. Then Blitz more and hit Hasselbeck on that banged up hand. I'm sick of all the crap coming out of Seattle and nothing would make me happier than a few threads here complaining about cheap and late hits being the only reason we won. Seattle fans deserve to see a couple of their stars limp off the field.

It is hard to blitz a west coast team becuase the QB is required to get the ball out early. Having said that I think we need to bring some pressure on occasion to rattle Hasslebeck but I don't forsee that being the focus of the game plan.

I agree,

I think we are going to see more 4 man rush this week like in the beggining of the season. For Hasslebeck will be using alot of 3 to 5 step drops, and the blitz would be useless in that technique. We must stop the run i realize stastically the Seahawks have struggled running the ball this season, but i see Holmgren calling for the run more often than we think this saturday.

We have the 4th ranked run defense and they have the 20th ranked rushing offense. That tells me that we should be able to stop the run with 7 in the box the majority of the game. That is good because we will need the fourth back to cover up for our 16th ranked pass defense. During our winning streak we have played some terrible passing teams. Dallas included with the weather conditions and the other circumstances.

This is not a favorable matchup for the skins. In fact the NFL is all about matchups and this one seems like the worst for the Skins of all the NFC playoff teams. Gregg Williams initial strategy will probably be to play a cover two and look to force them into long down and distance plays.

This game is going to come down to our offense putting up a lead and the defense holding on. All the pressure is on Seattle so they will likely start a bit slow.

The game will come down to the play of Sean Springs and Fred Smoot. If they show up big we should win.

I agree,

I think we are going to see more 4 man rush this week like in the beggining of the season. For Hasslebeck will be using alot of 3 to 5 step drops, and the blitz would be useless in that technique. We must stop the run i realize stastically the Seahawks have struggled running the ball this season, but i see Holmgren calling for the run more often than we think this saturday.

I hope he does call for the run more this weekend.

It almost seems like GW saves certain things for big games doesn't it? Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way, but whenever there's a lot of hype (Detroit, Minny) or when we need it most (NYG, Dallas) it always seems like Gregg has something up his sleeve.

I feel very confident that we'll stuff the run without having to put too many in the box since the D-Line, Fletch, Blades and MW have come up big. Then it's gonna be on Hasslebeck. Can he do it? Sure, he's a really good QB. I like our secondary against this offense, however.

Archived