Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With Collins we finally have hope!!! Big D up next!! (merged)

FanSinceSonnyJ

Wow! What a great win Sunday night!! Gibbs had the team ready to go on both sides of the ball.

Todd Collins played another brilliant game with ZERO interceptions and the result was a big time win over the Vikes at their home venue. Smart decisions, quick reads and releases, and accurate passes along with a game plan that stuffed Adrian Peterson assured us of the W. Greg Williams took a page out of what opposing defenses had been doing to our team as of late - stuffing the running game and daring JC to beat us through the air. Tavaris Jackson (like Jason Campbell) was not up for the task. Sure the guy has talent (just as Campbell does), but has a tendency of taking too long to make decisions and makes bonehead mistakes or errant passes from time to time. Sound familiar?

I see no reason to make any change at the QB position as long as Collins continues to win ball games and not make mistakes. My guess is Joe Gibbs is thinking the same way, but just isn't ready to say so until he has to. Hopefully Jason Campbell is learning how it is supposed to be done while watching Collins lead us to weekly victories.

Next up is Big D. A herculean effort will be needed to beat these guys no matter how serious Dallas takes the game. Thankfully it looks as if we have a QB under center who just may be up for the task.

I wouldn't go so far as comparing Jackson to Campbell. Jackson is just a bad QB who doesn't seem to understand the game. Campbell, though with his faults, has been improving and will continue to do so. Jackson seems to fall under any kind of pressure and is willing to just throw the ball anywhere. Campbell doesn't do that.

Hopefully Todd Collins will learn to take care of the football. Two fumbles. And one that would have put the Vikings right back in the game if not for the 12 Vikes of Christmas miracle.

He's sure getting some help from the other team, who for some reason don't want his turnovers.

I'll take it, but he can't lead this charmed life forever.

I wouldn't go so far as comparing Jackson to Campbell. Jackson is just a bad QB who doesn't seem to understand the game. Campbell, though with his faults, has been improving and will continue to do so. Jackson seems to fall under any kind of pressure and is willing to just throw the ball anywhere. Campbell doesn't do that.

Jackson is not great, that is for sure. However, I just don't see where JC has shown much improvement at all. Sure he probably is better than Jackson, but that's not a tough hurdle to cross. Campbell still can't seem to deliver when needed and is prone to about 2 turnovers per game which have just killed us. I know it is popular by some around here to blame everyone but Campbell for Campbell's performance, but the bottom line is TC is having no problem getting it done with the same players JC had. For that I couldn't be more thrilled!

Hopefully he can lead us to a W and the playoffs with a win this weekend against the Cowboys.

Hopefully Todd Collins will learn to take care of the football. Two fumbles. And one that would have put the Vikings right back in the game if not for the 12 Vikes of Christmas miracle.

The QB, center exchange will need a bit more practice. I'm sure that will be fixed this week.

"Learn to take care of the football???" What game were you watching? Zero interceptions. 3-0 as a starter. Bottom line, he's far from the turnover machine that JC has proven to be.

You sound somewhat bitter over the W. Strange. Most of us, including Joe Gibbs, are thrilled with Collins' heroics.

The QB, center exchange will need a bit more practice. I'm sure that will be fixed this week.

"Learn to take care of the football???" What game were you watching? Zero interceptions. 3-0 as a starter. Bottom line, he's far from the turnover machine that JC has proven to be.

You sound somewhat bitter over the W. Strange. Most of us, including Joe Gibbs, are thrilled with Collins' heroics.

When the ball hits the QB in the hands he has to take the snap. It's fundamental stuff that Collins managed to muck up in pristine conditions and with the Redskins' playoff lives on the line.

I'm thrilled over the win and thought Collins played exceptionally well except for his unforced fumbles, that were fortunate not to bounce to the Vikings. It's one thing to get him from the blindside when the LT whiffs on a block and fumble, it's another thing to not be able to take a snap from center, especially in the biggest game of the year.

You sound somewhat like you're trying to gloss over the most elementary errors made at "crucial junctions of the game" that need obvious correction. Unless you're the type of fan of a player that's willing to overlook obvious mistakes of your favorite player just because the team managed to win it makes all of his other mistakes irrelevant.

Todd was great, but he needs to protect the football better.

Its obvious also that the play calling is different as well, TC is making quicker reads than JC, but bottom line is wins, if TC is winning then keep him in there and if JC does come back you still know you have a capable backup, but dont mess up the chemistry that this team has now. Im sure Gibbs won't but the future is now with TC and not JC

When the ball hits the QB in the hands he has to take the snap. It's fundamental stuff that Collins managed to muck up in pristine conditions and with the Redskins' playoff lives on the line.

I'm thrilled over the win and thought Collins played exceptionally well except for his unforced fumbles, that were fortunate not to bounce to the Vikings. It's one thing to get him from the blindside when the LT whiffs on a block and fumble, it's another thing to not be able to take a snap from center, especially in the biggest game of the year.

You sound somewhat like you're trying to gloss over the most elementary errors made at "crucial junctions of the game" that need obvious correction. Unless you're the type of fan of a player that's willing to overlook obvious mistakes of your favorite player just because the team managed to win it makes all of his other mistakes irrelevant.

Todd was great, but he needs to protect the football better.

Actually BobbyZ, the only meter that I'm using to measure success of the QB is wins, which is exactly what TC is doing. Will he win them all? No. Will he ever make mistakes? Sure. However, unlike JC, he makes quick, smart decisions and knows when to throw it away. He's using all his assets. Had JC not blown a few opportunities at crucial junctures in a few games this season, we may have clinched a playoff spot by now. Instead, we're fighting like heck to come in the back door.

Not glossing over anything Ace, just celebrating the great position TC has put us in. Again, the center exchange will be fixed in short order. Bank on it. Just curious, is it your love of JC that has you scrutinizing any miscue by Collins as proof positive he is not worthy to displace the forever green JC? ;)

I agree the Skins are better off with TC for the rest of this season. But if the Skins beat Dallas and make the playoffs,I sure hope JC is available as the backup. JC's mobility and strong arm might be necessary if teams finally figure out how to get to Collins or disrupt his soft passes.I doubt MB is the answer should TC go down or struggles.

Let's not overstate our dissappointment in our young QB. Campbell has some issues, but he's a lot better than Jackson.

With a better line, a better running game and comparable WRs, Jackson's numbers are far lower than Campbell's. His INT percentage is much higher. His TD percentage is lower. Campbell has thrown for about 1000 yards more in 2 more starts.

Campbell may not be a world beater, but he's a middle-of-the pack QB, whereas Jackson isn't even that.

I agree the Skins are better off with TC for the rest of this season. But if the Skins beat Dallas and make the playoffs,I sure hope JC is available as the backup. JC's mobility and strong arm might be necessary if teams finally figure out how to get to Collins or disrupt his soft passes.I doubt MB is the answer should TC go down or struggles.

Well, given JC W-L record prior to going down, I'll take my chances with TC throughout the playoff. A strong arm and mobility does not win ball games. Accuracy, quick/smart decisions and the ability to deliver under pressure does.

JC as back up is fine with me. Hopefully he will never be called upon to actually go in.

Perhaps this offseason it will somehow all come together for JC and he'll deliver next season. Sadly, his steep learning curve hurt us big time this season.

Actually BobbyZ, the only meter that I'm using to measure success of the QB is wins, which is exactly what TC is doing.

If wins is the ONLY meter you're using to measure success of a QB why do you harp on turnovers? You must think Vince Young is a great QB since his team is primed to enter the playoffs despite a 1:2 TD to INT ratio and that John Elway and Dan Marino were bums for most of their careers.

Will he win them all? No. Will he ever make mistakes? Sure. However, unlike JC, he makes quick, smart decisions and knows when to throw it away. He's using all his assets. Had JC not blown a few opportunities at crucial junctures in a few games this season, we may have clinched a playoff spot by now. Instead, we're fighting like heck to come in the back door.

Why are you so fixated on the past? Collins is the QB of the present and hopefully of this playoff run as he is playing very well overall. You should be concerned about his play now, not about Campbell's play in helping the Skins get to this point.

Not glossing over anything Ace, just celebrating the great position TC has put us in. Again, the center exchange will be fixed in short order. Bank on it. Just curious, is it your love of JC that has you scrutinizing any miscue by Collins as proof positive he is not worthy to displace the forever green JC? ;)

I think you're the one obsessed with Jason Campbell since you seem to bring EVERY conversation back to him. I'm simply trying to point out the flaws in TC's game that we need to see eliminated. And with the Skins possibly heading to a very wet and windy Seattle for a playoff game, ball security is a real concern.

Let's not overstate our dissappointment in our young QB. Campbell has some issues, but he's a lot better than Jackson.

With a better line, a better running game and comparable WRs, Jackson's numbers are far lower than Campbell's. His INT percentage is much higher. His TD percentage is lower. Campbell has thrown for about 1000 yards more in 2 more starts.

Campbell may not be a world beater, but he's a middle-of-the pack QB, whereas Jackson isn't even that.

Jason Cambell QB rating: 77.6 (3rd year in NFL)

Tavaris Jackson QB rating: 68.6 (2nd year in NFL)

Neither one of these guys is proving to be a "world beater".

Hopefully JC is reflecting and learning while watching TC getting it done on the field. We can only hope.

I'm all for keeping TC in as long as he does well even if JC gets healthy, but I really don't understand all the Campbell bashing...

He's not a fumble machine, with a healthy Oline in '06 he had 1 fumble in seven games. Just one.

Plus, several of his INTs have been tipped, he didn't have our receivers at 100% like Collins does, and the O-Line has really taken huge strides in pass protection (look at the giants game)

I'm not saying Campbell would definitely be doing as well or better than Collins is now, but I am saying in two of our losses he had 300 yard games, and made some killer throws.

How high would you be on Collins if Moss hadn't made that spectacular catch OVER the Viking defender?

To me, Collins just can really execute the offense, I love the guy, he's a much better QB than any of us thought he'd be, but really I see him as a glimpse of what Jason can do after several years in this offense.

Also:

This season Jason's completion percentage went up to 60%, I think that's a great sign as well.

Seems we all are missing the biggest point in all of this, and that being the fact that TC has been in AS's offense for 9 years, that would should and did make him that much better in what he sees on game day, even without the game reps over the course of 9 plus years he prolly still has seen more practice snaps trying to simulate games than JC has has actually played in. those years of experience are def paying dividends for all of us fans right now. But with JC sitting and learning right now its only going to make him better when he gets back in there next year.

It's sad how true this statement is, considering how much was invested in him.

A first rounder... for a starting QB. Are you referring to how much was invested into Campbell? OR Jackson?

Not every first rounder is going to be a world beater and you don't need on to win the SUper Bowl...

For example: Joey T, Doug W, Mark R.

Trent Dilfer? Ben ROethlisberger?

We don't need a Peyton or Brady. ALtough if Campbell played at that level it would be nice...

A first rounder... for a starting QB. Are you referring to how much was invested into Campbell? OR Jackson?

Not every first rounder is going to be a world beater and you don't need on to win the SUper Bowl...

The Redskins traded a 1st, a 3rd, and a 4th for the pick used to grab JC. That's a lot, no matter how you look at it. They should be reaping the rewards of such a trade by the end of Year 3.

If wins is the ONLY meter you're using to measure success of a QB why do you harp on turnovers? You must think Vince Young is a great QB since his team is primed to enter the playoffs despite a 1:2 TD to INT ratio and that John Elway and Dan Marino were bums for most of their careers.

Why are you so fixated on the past? Collins is the QB of the present and hopefully of this playoff run as he is playing very well overall. You should be concerned about his play now, not about Campbell's play in helping the Skins get to this point.

I think you're the one obsessed with Jason Campbell since you seem to bring EVERY conversation back to him. I'm simply trying to point out the flaws in TC's game that we need to see eliminated. And with the Skins possibly heading to a very wet and windy Seattle for a playoff game, ball security is a real concern.

Oh sheesh. You now want to disect my each sentence to somehow make a point that TC is not up for the job.

Yeah, I'm sure the Titan fans are fine with Young seeing that dispite his turnovers they are 9-6 and on the verge of making the playoffs. The guy has outstanding mobility and is showing an ability to get it done.

As for my being supposed "fixated" on the past, it is the only measure we have to evaluate JC. The results are just not great.

Yes Collins will have to fix the QB exchange hiccup from the Vikes game. Before we worry about wet Seattle, let's hope TC can continue his excellent play and get us by a very, very good Cowboy team.

The good news is TC is not throwing interceptions and fumbling when under duress.

Seems we all are missing the biggest point in all of this, and that being the fact that TC has been in AS's offense for 9 years, that would should and did make him that much better in what he sees on game day, even without the game reps over the course of 9 plus years he prolly still has seen more practice snaps trying to simulate games than JC has has actually played in. those years of experience are def paying dividends for all of us fans right now. But with JC sitting and learning right now its only going to make him better when he gets back in there next year.

letting Campbell sit and seeing how Collins makes decisions in this offense should help him.

Archived