Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A positive thought

DeathByLinebacker

I know a lot of you are down about #48 getting released and I probably would be too if I had been around here longer.

But, here's a positive thought I saw on another board:

The Redskins are undefeated in games that both Pat Ramsey and Ladell Betts have started started.

Now if we can only get some more games against the state of Texas on the schedule.

I still think there is some as yet unreported story about why the Redskins have had a hands off policy in regards to resigning Derrius Thompson.

personality conflict with Spurrier? off the field problems we don't know about? a poor attitude? bad locker room guy?

I think Spurrier just felt let down when he gave Thompson so much playing time at the end of the season and dropped so many- That would be enough for me to make a decision on.

In the Dallas game they ran a couple of similiar plays to Thompson, then a few plays later same play to McCants-and McCants caught them all and Derrius caught I think 1.

-yeah - and our fumble cout will go down (just trying to make myself feel better

Wrong.

Davis had 4 fumbles last year in about 207+ touches . (edited the 270 to 207 as he had 207 carries)

Betts had 2 fumbles in about 100 or so touches.

So statistically Betts fumbled at a higher rate than Davis.

Also, while Watson was not credited with a fumble he did hand the ball to roy Williams for a int/TD............

So when you B*tch about a couple fumbles by Davis, I want to hear you b*tch about those by the others as well.

If you want fewer fumbles, get Champ off of punt duty.

personally, I'd give up a fumble or two willingly if they eliminate the false starts and stupid penalties. (i.e. goodbye Loverne and shirley). That killed more drives than anything.

Betts/Watson are young. Young meaning GREENER than a brand new banana at Giant. Of course they are gonna muff up sometimes. Stephen Davis is a "Pro-Bowl" running back. Kind of unfair to compare the two. Not hating on SD, not saying Betts/Watson will be pro bowlers. Just saying tough to make that comparison.

exactly CBK,

this is just like the ASF argument against gardner. The fact is as a rookie you get some leeway. Both of Betts fumbles were rookie mistake type deals, not a case of slippery fingers. Stephen has shown that he has trouble physically holding onto the ball. We haven't seen that from betts. As a rookie I'll forgive him that. Next year though, we'll expect more and rightly so.

-DB

so it's okay if betts fumbles since he's a younger PROFESSIONAL but not okay for Davis "as he knows better"???????????

BULL.

A fumble is a fumble. A running back should already know how to protect the ball BEFORE reaching the pros.

So it's okay for Loverne to have all those false starts and holding penalties as it was his first season starting? Same logic you're trying to use.....

I'm just tired of hearing everyone moaning about Davis fumbling (knowing he was going to get cut) yet nothing is said about Champ's fumbling problem, or Betts, or Thompson or anyone else.

The skins LED the league in fumbles. 20 of them. Davis had 4 of the 20......so why isn't anyone else harping about the other 16???

well.....

you're exactly right. No one should ever fumble. EVER.

the only importnat question though is not whether they were wrong to fumble but whether thier fumbling is likely to increase or decrease. I feel it is more likely that these younger players will improve thier game. I feel it is unlikely that davis will improve his game.

-DB

The last two weeks of the season gave me much more confidence in Betts and Watson. I think they DO fit into Spurriers system better with their receiving abilities. Our offense should be much improved even with Davis' departure.

Unless Ramsey ... well ... you know ...:doh:

Archived