Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Hasselbeck's name constantly botched

Larry Brown #43

Actually, it's not the accent, some people actually pronounce it "Back." If you google it, you see hassleback too.

I think I know why.

Before the Brothers H made it to the NFL there was a football player for Denver named Harold Hasselbach. And it was pronounced 'back.' I know it seems strange and that why would a somewhat obscure Denver Bronco so influence people but once a name starts to make its way into the pronunciation, it's hard to let go. Look at Terrell Owens and how he corrected people who were used to the accent on the first syllable.

Also, people are morons. It's the same cats who add 's' to a name that doesn't end in one (lots of people referred to Howard Stern as Howard Sterns.) They're used to patterns and I think they just impose that order onto any items which don't mesh.

So screw Matty H and his wants. HasselBACK drops beck!

Actually, it's not the accent, some people actually pronounce it "Back." If you google it, you see hassleback too.

I think I know why.

Before the Brothers H made it to the NFL there was a football player for Denver named Harold Hasselbach. And it was pronounced 'back.' I know it seems strange and that why would a somewhat obscure Denver Bronco so influence people but once a name starts to make its way into the pronunciation, it's hard to let go. Look at Terrell Owens and how he corrected people who were used to the accent on the first syllable.

Also, people are morons. It's the same cats who add 's' to a name that doesn't end in one (lots of people referred to Howard Stern as Howard Sterns.) They're used to patterns and I think they just impose that order onto any items which don't mesh.

So screw Matty H and his wants. HasselBACK drops beck!

very nice i didint know that :cheers:

Yeah, I think you nailed it. People are indeed morons.

I hear this mispronunciation so often that I'm actually surprised when I hear someone say it the right way. I heard Jaworski botch it on ESPN tonight and that was the last straw. I had to start a thread.

Learn to read, people!

Archived