Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

32 Questions: Family ties (Sean Taylor/University of Miami)

truckedbysellers

there's was a link to this on the yahoo home page.

32 Questions: Family ties

The death of Sean Taylor has affected his family, friends and Redskins teammates, and another subset of the NFL community is grieving as well: Every player in the league who attended the University of Miami, whether or not Taylor was there at the time.

College ties are often on public display during postgame handshakes or out in the parking lot by the visiting team's bus, but the bond maintained by those who played at "The U" is on an entirely different level. Many of these players work out together at their alma mater over the offseason, enduring the taxing regimen set forth by Hurricanes strength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey, and socialize on a regular basis as well.

"It's like one big family," says Cardinals halfback Edgerrin James, one of the many ex-Hurricanes who attended Taylor's funeral on Monday. "We're all kind of the same – we pride ourselves on being from 'The U,' and we're all intertwined."

Did you see that poignant footage on Monday Night Football of the Ravens' three ex-Miami players, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Willis McGahee, huddled closely before the game? Lewis talked about how they had lost someone in the family and that their performance that night would be for Taylor and Taylor only.

cont...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-32questions120507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I remember someone saying that Ed Reed was playing without thinking of Sean on that Mon night game... it seems he played at that level bc he thought of nothing else but honoring his buddies memory. Ray Lewis, always a class act as well.

Lewis, Reed and McGahee were all playing for Sean Monday night, did you see the pregame huddle they got into? Gave me chills, they played their asses off and beat the Pats, if it weren't for that stupid timeout by Rex Ryan.

Lewis, Reed and McGahee were all playing for Sean Monday night, did you see the pregame huddle they got into? Gave me chills, they played their asses off and beat the Pats, if it weren't for that stupid timeout by Rex Ryan.

got chills too when they showed that clip during the game.

It's sad that those guys played harder for Sean than our guys did, but so be it. Their effort and heart is consoling.

Have you ever lost a brother and then get right back to doing what you did with him everyday. I have, I know the pain they were feeling before they had the closure of the funeral. I watched my best friend, a brother, die while I was riding on the same fire truck that we had both been on together just hours before. Something we had done together for over 5 years. Regardless of how they looked and what the outcome of that game was it is commendable and honorable that they all suited up and did what their brother would want them to do. They are professionals but at the same time they are also human. We knew it would be hard for them with Taylor sidelined with a knee injury, we should of looked at it as almost impossible with him dead so senslessly and tragically and been happy they they suited up. That loss did hurt a little more than usual, but personally I feel as if the season was over when we found out the news and Im happy and content just watching our boys play without anymore expectations. Bash them if you must but try walking in their shoes if you havent already.

It's sad that those guys played harder for Sean than our guys did, but so be it. Their effort and heart is consoling.

I wouldn't say that they played harder. They lost in the last minute just like us. They had some stupid mistakes as well. While they had the much tougher opponent than we did, they did not have to endure directly what this whole team did. I know that a handful of players were affected by the tragedy of Sean Taylor, but 60 players were affected, so I would say that even though I was angry at the outcome, I give massive props to the players and going out there and giving it their all. They get my respect for what they did.

Archived