Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's not Gibbs.. it's lack of a GM...

GaryGreenMonk

Who is more responsible for New Englands success?? Belicheck and the coaches or the GM who loaded the team with Brady, Moss, Wilfork, Seau, Welker, Vrabel, Stallworth, Samuels, etc.

Some say that it isn't Belichick or Pioli, it's pure luck that they landed Tom Brady with the sixth pick.

Personally, I think it's Belichick, Brady, Pioli and several other people who deserve credit.

we definitely don't need a GM. we don't need a larger staff, we need a smaller one. The Redskins have soooo many coaches, and so many with a little hand in everything. The plays go through so many people I'm surprised we have time to snap the ball each time. We are running a conservative and a passing offense at the same time in the same game. That won't work. We have absolutely no identity anymore.

Because we've had the same result for the last 15 years, regardless of who's coach.

It's the structure that is hosed.

First it was lets grab a college hotshot.. he'll fix it.. Spurrier didn't change anything... then.. lets get hall of fame Gibbs.. he obviously can't fix it either.. now it's lets get a young go getter from somewhere in the NFL (russ grimm)...

I got news for you.. he won't fix it either.. not until the structure/philosophy is fixed.

Which starts with The Danny And Vinny Show.

While you are correct about the need for a GM. To say the current state of The Skins not Gibbs's fault is simply ridiculous. Gibbs IS the "GM" and Head Coach. He picks and coaches the players. He makes his own bed with this. It's on him. Gibbs the "GM" blew it on Archuleta/Lloyd/etc and Gibbs the Coach blows it with his in-game decisons.

It starts at the top amd Gibbs is the King of Castle right now.

What we need and what we don't have is better linemen on both sides of the ball. The game of football is all about who wins the battle in the trenches. You can be real clever and create "schemes" to compensate for the lack of a good line, but in the end you won't win consistently without excellent line play.

Look at our championship teams of years ago. The Hogs were the biggest, baddest, fastest and most effective line in the league. On the other side you had guys like Dave Butz, Dexter Manley, Charles Mann and many others. Who on our present team would you mention in the same breath with those guys? Okay, maybe one or two, but certainly not more than that and certainly not an entire unit like The Hogs.

I think the problem may be that personnel moves involving linemen just aren't sexy. They don't carry the same appeal as trading up for Jason Campbell, trading for Santana Moss or Clinton Portis, etc. In other words, linemen don't sell tickets. And if there's a glaring contrast between this owner and the last, it's that now we must, above all else, sell tickets--and jerseys and hats and--and--and.....

By the way, when's the last time we sold out of Chris Samuels jerseys, or Andre Carter or Philip McDaniel or Casey Rabach?

I honestly believe that better lines would make Gibbs, Saunders and Williams look better, would make Jason Campbell and Clinton Portis look better, would make our tragically depleted defensive secondary look better and would certainly result in more wins at the end of the day.:2cents:

The organization is in chaos and disarray. Period. The coaching staff is not in touch with each other. No one is communicating with each other. Players are pulling themselves out of games and deciding when they can or cannot practice. I could go on and on listing examples that I've heard on redskins radio week in and week out but chances are you've already heard them as well so why bother.

I'm just frustrated and however hard I want to hope, pray, believe, that's not going to solve the problem. I don't like the way Gibbs 2.0 is running the show. I guess I'm finally on the bandwagon. Gibbs must go after the season, gracefully. In addition the Skins need to hire a GM but I don't think that's going to happen.

:doh:

so many of your type out there, makes me sad.

Wow, thanks for the response.

I replied with a snarky but perfectly valid example of Gibbs failing us as a coach. Your response is a smiley. Good to see.

Yes, we would be better with Scott Pioli picking our players for us. But there is only one of him and he doesn't work for us. However, aside from a couple of bad moves, our personnel moves have not been THE MOST AWFUL.

If I had to pick "gibbs as a head coach" or "gibbs as a GM" I'd rather be stuck with the latter. After all, a good coach can do good with mediocre players (look at gibbs with the "over the hill gang"). A bad coach can't do jack with good players (look at gibbs now.)

In other words, linemen don't sell tickets. And if there's a glaring contrast between this owner and the last, it's that now we must, above all else, sell tickets--and jerseys and hats and--and--and.....

I was just going to say the same thing. The pursuit of free agent 'superstars' who can sell jerseys has undermined the depth on both sides of the line. Sad to say, I don't see this changing when Gibbs eventually leaves because Little Dan Snyder will still be in charge.

What we need and what we don't have is better linemen on both sides of the ball. The game of football is all about who wins the battle in the trenches. You can be real clever and create "schemes" to compensate for the lack of a good line, but in the end you won't win consistently without excellent line play.

Look at our championship teams of years ago. The Hogs were the biggest, baddest, fastest and most effective line in the league. On the other side you had guys like Dave Butz, Dexter Manley, Charles Mann and many others. Who on our present team would you mention in the same breath with those guys? Okay, maybe one or two, but certainly not more than that and certainly not an entire unit like The Hogs.

I think the problem may be that personnel moves involving linemen just aren't sexy. They don't carry the same appeal as trading up for Jason Campbell, trading for Santana Moss or Clinton Portis, etc. In other words, linemen don't sell tickets. And if there's a glaring contrast between this owner and the last, it's that now we must, above all else, sell tickets--and jerseys and hats and--and--and.....

By the way, when's the last time we sold out of Chris Samuels jerseys, or Andre Carter or Philip McDaniel or Casey Rabach?

I honestly believe that better lines would make Gibbs, Saunders and Williams look better, would make Jason Campbell and Clinton Portis look better, would make our tragically depleted defensive secondary look better and would certainly result in more wins at the end of the day.:2cents:

This is where you kinda have to give gibbs a BIT of a bailout. Gibbs didn't expect to lose 2 linemen, have a gimpy center, and a gimpy 2nd string lineman trading out for a 3rd string one on O.

WRT the D line, we.... ok, you have a point there - but our D has been decent when the O hasn't left it out there to run out of steam, or hurt by big injuries. Heck, some people thought we had too many corners at the start of the season (for the $$) and now we can barely get by a game with the ones we have left.

Totally agree. This team has neglected both lines for far too long. Our defense is lacking that stud defensive lineman, and we had a chance to at least TRY to get one with the #7th pick in the draft this year.

I like gibbs personel moves. It's his in game coaching decisions that I question. If he were to stay on the skins payroll in more of an executive role I would be extremely happy. I like the players we have and I think he has had relatively good success with our late round pics......(you can now start bashing our late round picks)

This is where you kinda have to give gibbs a BIT of a bailout. Gibbs didn't expect to lose 2 linemen, have a gimpy center, and a gimpy 2nd string lineman trading out for a 3rd string one on O.

WRT the D line, we.... ok, you have a point there - but our D has been decent when the O hasn't left it out there to run out of steam, or hurt by big injuries. Heck, some people thought we had too many corners at the start of the season (for the $$) and now we can barely get by a game with the ones we have left.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not blaming Gibbs for the injuries, the run of bad fortune and God knows what else. But I think he does at least share the responsibility for not paying enough attention to both lines. Yes, I agree that--barring injuries--we would be seeing much better line play. But injuries do happen, which test your depth, and we don't have much. And the older your guys are, the more likely they are to become injured.

I'm just saying that everybody would be performing better if both lines were among the best in the league--like they were back when we won regularly.

Archived