Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Similarities between this season and the Miami Hurricanes 2006 season

Sekhmet728

Both teams started out struggling.

At one point Miami was 5-4. They had just dropped 2 games in a row. Then their starting DT Bryan Pata was shot and killed. They had less than a week to prepare for their game at Maryland, a game that I attended. The Hurricanes dedicated that game to their friend but they made some costly mistakes. On the first two Maryland possessions, the then 8th-ranked Miami defense allowed a 65 yard TD pass and a 96 yard TD pass respectively. Miami did not allow Maryland any more points the rest of the game, but were unable to overcome the deficit and fell 14-13.

The Redskins also made costly mistakes during the game against the Bills, mistakes they never should have made. Despite their efforts, they lost 17-16, also by 1 point.

Miami would go on to lose their game against Virginia, but would upset Boston College(who were then playing for a trip to the ACC Championship Game) in their final home game. Miami would finish 6-6 and qualify for a bowl game.

The Miami-Maryland game was stuck in my mind the entire duration of the Bills game this week. I had seen this happen before.

The point is, I believe we were wrong that somehow the death of Sean Taylor could help this team play a better game against the Bills. It was simply too much for them that week. But, teams that suffer from this kind of tragedy have proven that they can turn their game around. It may not happen the first game or the next, but it can happen. The Redskins still have a chance to end up at .500 or even above .500. They still have something to play for.

I disagree.

Randy Shannon is a good coach. It's his first year at the helm of the program. I feel like college coahces NEED at least 3-5 years until their worth is shown. Granted, Shannon serving on the staff and being involved with recruiting decisions may shorten that window, but give the man time.

Although, seeing how we're talking about 2006 and Coker was the coach, I'd concede the point.

PS: I still love Joe. He can coach as long as he wants in my eyes... But I'd like to see him in more of a Paterno/Bowden role... :)

the problem with shannon is that as a rookie HC you are going to make mistakes........in order to help lessen the impact of those mistakes.......you need to surround yourself with competent veterans on yoru staff........he didnt do that

what he did instead was try and get "his boys" as many staff positions as possible

hes turned the UM staff into the MC Hammer type entourage

when Bryan Pata died RIP Larry Coker was still HC for UM and Shannon was DC. UM wasnt playing well that season and it had Cokers exit written all over it, i feel sorry for him having to leave on that note but didnt make the most of his coaching career stuggling with a high caliber program.

I think a more valid comparison would be how every team from Miami this year has had very difficult times.

Contrast that with the city of Boston, where just about everything is turning up four-leaf clovers.

Meanwhile, the DC/Baltimore area is located smack in the middle of a wishy-washy malaise. Disappointing by all accounts, but not yet totally lost.

Do you believe in Karma? Yes!!!

when Bryan Pata died RIP Larry Coker was still HC for UM and Shannon was DC. UM wasnt playing well that season and it had Cokers exit written all over it, i feel sorry for him having to leave on that note but didnt make the most of his coaching career stuggling with a high caliber program.

i was thinking the same thing...that coker was still the coach.

Archived