Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Testing the waters

InFlames1989

Should goddamn be filtered  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should goddamn be filtered

This is my first post, ever. And in being so, I pray that I do not butcher such an event. I apologize if this post is lacking clarity or direction.

In little more than 4 hours, a week will have passed since that fateful news break that broke so many hearts. Ever since that Tuesday at 5:30, life for many has been a torrent of emotions; grief, anger and wonder. Muddled and sometimes lost in those emotions, I believe, has been what was taught; and that is with Sean's tragic death, those many, but shrinking, of us with morals, have really been able to take a step back, and realize, what is truly important in our lives. The man we have all been memorializing and praising knew his priorities and has passed that on to us.

My next thought:

The Pro Bowl is when I was finally realized the awesomeness of Sean Taylor; when he turned Brian Moorman in to a very fitting Brian Poorman. Even during what is supposed to be an exhibition game. Portis was true in his words, no one played the game with more heart than Taylor. The next thing I noticed is something very rare; he did not own an oversized head, his big plays were celebrated by another big one, not by some ridiculous, over-the-top, i'm trying to compensate for my lack of being, celebration. I can point to Rodney Harrison's little act of getting in the face of Brian Billick earlier tonight. I mean, come on, Harrison didn't even make the interception. Would Taylor have ever done that? No. Because he had a rare trait for a superstar, and that would be class. It's a shame I'll never get to see him lay out Larry Johnson. That would have been the day.

Redskin's fans, and I am one myself, even from lame Kansas. We had a player that defined what the game of football was built upon. This breed of player is most certainly a dying breed. A player that played with heart and left everything on the field, all while encouraging his teammates to do that same. A player that didn't let his head get in the way of his game. (I couldn't see him holding out for more money) A player and teammate that defined the word to the T. A player that would do anything to see his fans happy and make the game worth their time. I have never once read something about him shafting a group of kids, or fans.

More importantly though, he lived his life how life is meant to be lived. He put his friends and family first. Nothing was more important than they were, he lived and died that way. Man, that was a rough sentence to write. He was a father to his daughter, a boyfriend to his girlfriend, a son to his father and mother, a friend to his friends, a teammate to his comrades on the field, and the lighthouse on land for any fan who was lost at sea. Note how football comes last in the lists of what he was.

Don't get me wrong, the man was more football than the entire Dolphin's football team. But he definetely had his priorities straight.

In closing; don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. #21 taught and brought each of us so much over his storied, but far too short career. Heart, faith, and peace. I know I learned a little bit about those from him, especially the first one. So before everyone does off the deep end and rips the 'Skins to shreds, crucifies the coaching and on-field errors, we should all remember something. Would getting fired up over a petty mistake, "in a child's game, [played for a King's ransom]," be a good way to honor Sean Taylor? A man who lived his life so much the opposite. A man who had football not his first, second, or probably even third priority.

He is lost, but will never be forgotten. Hopefully how he lived and the lessons he by how he lived will not be either.

Forever live 21.

On a lighter note;

I was reading the comments about Buffalo fans and learning how they were behaving and I just wanted to get this in there. Perhaps Willis McGahee was right about Buffalo, when he burned the town in his little preseason rant.

Also, I wonder how many opposing receivers will still react the same when they cross the middle against the Redskins. They will still hear footsteps, and they may forget. Besides, Landry doesn't play around. I would love to see him notify T.O., that the spirit of Taylor lives on.

I know my post has a lot of what was already said. But sometimes, you just need to say things; and I had so much weighing on my mind.

Nice post. Taylor got to lay out Johnson a few times in 2005 when the 'Skins played KC (he also had a nice forced fumble on Holmes). Seems so trivial to post this now... I think Sean Taylor was having his best season as a pro, and the change was especially apparent in his run support. What I saw was someone who went from a "blow him up, hit him hard" mentality early in his career, to a player who made a solid tackle on every play. Sure, some plays he would hit the guy more spectacularly, but I think he understood his role as safety and was making better tackles this season. Maybe his role in the defense changed a bit as well, but I didn't remember as many missed tackles this year, and was looking forward to.... (sorry don't want to finish this sentence)

Wait, so he did lay out LJ? I try not to support anything that has to do with this god forsaken state. So I don't watch many games. How does one get a towel? I'd like to put one right here on the wall behind my computer. In a neat little frame. I know this thread is way down on the list so I am not so sure anyone will even see it. Well, my car is an unreliable piece of work and I should prbly start heading to work now. Hopefully I show up 5 minutes late, so I can continue the tradition.

Have a fantastic rest of the day everybody

Archived