Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe Players really are targets (Phillip Buchanon )

Pete

Complete Story

Incident hits close to home for Buchanon

By David Dorsey

Originally posted on November 27, 2007

TAMPA — Phillip Buchanon knows first hand about some of the terror Sean Taylor endured during an early Monday morning home invasion that left Taylor in critical condition.

Buchanon, a Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback, Fort Myers native and former teammate of Taylor's at the University of Miami, told news-press.com Monday about his own home invasion experience.

The shooting of Taylor jarred Buchanon's memory to the morning of March 12, 2006 at his home in Lithonia, Ga., a suburb of Atlanta.

"Something like that happened to me," said Buchanon. "At 3 o'clock in the morning, five guys in ski masks came into my house. It was a home invasion.

Interesting, I had no idea Buchanon lived so close. Unfortunately, there are a fair amount of home invasion style robberies going on in the Atlanta area so his story isn't unusual.

However, what still makes me think Taylor's murder had something to do with one of his prior altercations is just how atypical it was for a home invasion. Usually, home invasions happen with multiple assailants that quickly control everyone in the house and demand money and valuables. Their goal is to overwhelm everyone in the house before any resistance can be mounted, then take as much time as is needed to terrorize the occupants into giving up everything they've got. However, in Sean's case there was none of that.

Now certainly it could have been a case of a burglar thinking Taylor would be out of town due to the game and being surprised to find someone at home. However, in most cases like that if a burglar hears someone moving around in the house they'll immediately leave rather than risk a confrontation. Then, there's the issue of him just kicking the door down, firing and leaving.

Something about this just doesn't add up. :(

Interesting, I had no idea Buchanon lived so close. Unfortunately, there are a fair amount of home invasion style robberies going on in the Atlanta area so his story isn't unusual.

There going on all over the country, but I'd like to see the numbers of the income class of people being hit. Are as many middle class homes getting hit as the upper income homes ? It hard to hide the fact a sports figure lives in a comunity no matter how hard they try. Hell, you can do an online search of the tax records by name and come up with players home addresses. With the obscene money many players make, and the general impression of the life stule they live, seems like a tempting target.

This summer there were some NBA players that were being targeted as well in home invasions. I think one of the stories mentioned that someone who did security for the atheletes was the one given some group the information on how to penetrate their security systems.

Some of these attacks were in Southern Florida.

Archived