Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You KnowWhat? This Secondary Still Has A Bright Future

method man

LaRon Landry is nowhere near the Great One's level now and will never reach it, but he is a damn great prospect himself. One day he will be up there in the ranks of Ed Reed, Polamalu, and Sanders. (Side note: I appreciate Portis's willingness to honor ST but I feel Landry should wear #21 so he can pay homage to his mentor and so that #21 will still be there in the secondary).

Is Leigh Torrence going to be good or what? I see this guy getting better every week. The only game he really got roasted in was the Pats game when he was real green. Since then, he has played some very good ball and looks like a guy who will be with us for a while. I'm starting to wonder: even with all the questions about Rogers, Springs, and Smoot, do we really need to acquire another corner?

I have been Reed Doughty's biggest critic on this board and I don't think he should play FS ever again but I love his aggression on special teams and strong safety and in light of the Great One's death, I am appreciating it even more. I see him as Landry's long-term backup and as a guy who will be a Skin for a while.

ST was clearly the guy we were going to build around for the next ten years and he was probably bound for a Hall of Fame career. However, even with his passing, the rest of the youngsters we have there are not chopped liver either.

Landry may have to play FS, Doughty is a SS.....but both will need to remember what they were taught by Sean Taylor.

Remember people....just because you're no longer here, doesnt mean you're no longer here. Taylor has become part of the Redskins as a whole, so I think we're about to be surprised at how they turn out.

Landry may have to play FS, Doughty is a SS.....but both will need to remember what they were taught by Sean Taylor.

Remember people....just because you're no longer here, doesnt mean you're no longer here. Taylor has become part of the Redskins as a whole, so I think we're about to be surprised at how they turn out.

Probably for the rest of the season. Landry does not have the ball skills to be a FS though. If we learned anything with ST, though, you've gotta play to a player's strengths. I see the Skins signing Eugene Wilson and also looking into drafting a guy like Terrell Thomas to play the role Prioleau currently is playing.

Probably for the rest of the season. Landry does not have the ball skills to be a FS though. If we learned anything with ST, though, you've gotta play to a player's strengths. I see the Skins signing Eugene Wilson and also looking into drafting a guy like Terrell Thomas to play the role Prioleau currently is playing.

he played FS in college

Productive safety with a complete game. Instinctive, plays heads-up football and remains disciplined with assignments. Efficient, takes good angles to the action and goes for the knockout blow. Patrols centerfield, displays top sideline-to-sideline range and has a terrific break to the action. Displays speed in a straight-line or laterally. Wraps-up tackling.

I hope that Landry can begin to maybe step out of the shadows a little bit now. He has been very solid and mistake free all season, but I would really like him to make some big plays like I know he can. He isn't Taylor and nobody ever will be but honestly...Landry has elite talent without question. I think he will have to do more with Sean gone and will maybe get a few more opportunities.

As for Doughty...uhh can't really say much bad about the guy, he tries really hard and does well for the natural ability he has (not much) but to go from a potential HOFer to a 5th round DII scholar athlete award winning guy who is slow, probably can't catch (never been in the position to...probably from lack of speed) and can't blow up a player like ST or even Landry....

Lets just say I want us to draft a 6'2 225 pound safety who hits extremely hard, and has 4.3 speed coupled with WR hands :(

And now I feel like crap again.

I hope that Landry can begin to maybe step out of the shadows a little bit now. He has been very solid and mistake free all season, but I would really like him to make some big plays like I know he can. He isn't Taylor and nobody ever will be but honestly...Landry has elite talent without question. I think he will have to do more with Sean gone and will maybe get a few more opportunities.

As for Doughty...uhh can't really say much bad about the guy, he tries really hard and does well for the natural ability he has (not much) but to go from a potential HOFer to a 5th round DII scholar athlete award winning guy who is slow, probably can't catch (never been in the position to...probably from lack of speed) and can't blow up a player like ST or even Landry....

Lets just say I want us to draft a 6'2 225 pound safety who hits extremely hard, and has 4.3 speed coupled with WR hands :(

And now I feel like crap again.

If there is one thing about Doughty, it is that he can.

he played FS in college

I remember reading in some of his scouting reports that while he was solid in coverage, it was not his strong point. Laron strengths are within the box. That sideline-to-sideline range is essential for containing a RB trying to break it outside or recovering to break up that potential first down to a TE. The wrap-up tackling is better utilized closer to the LOS. SS is more intelligence, which is what Laron has more of, and FS is more instinct, which ST had.

Archived