Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The #21 Jersey POLL

TODD

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There have been a number of greats in redskins history. The only one to be retired is the 33 and he's still alive in Texas. I can see him being put in the ring of honor. But I don't think him dying due to a tragedy rates him higher than Darrell Green's 20 years of service. The tradition is that anyone wanting to wear the jersey is supposed to talk to the great who wore it before(such as when the Florida bum wanted to wear number 9). So, now, informally, ask them to talk to the family and friends to get their blessing. Portis was one of his best friends going back to the U. If he wants to wear it, it should be his.

i'd allow portis to finish the season with it and then retire it at the cowboys game...

I like this idea. Perhaps even in a pregame ceremony where Taylor's family is present if they wish, CP could wear it out of the tunnel and take it off one last time, then put his new jersey on.

There have been a number of greats in redskins history. The only one to be retired is the 33 and he's still alive in Texas. I can see him being put in the ring of honor. But I don't think him dying due to a tragedy rates him higher than Darrell Green's 20 years of service. The tradition is that anyone wanting to wear the jersey is supposed to talk to the great who wore it before(such as when the Florida bum wanted to wear number 9). So, now, informally, ask them to talk to the family and friends to get their blessing. Portis was one of his best friends going back to the U. If he wants to wear it, it should be his.

Even though we have but one OFFICIAL retired number, there are plenty of unofficial ones. It's clear no one will wear 28 again. Bobby Mitchell's 49 is back on that list as well despite the Leonard Stephens fiasco. I say let 21 join the list.

Archived