Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is slavery wrong?

Zguy28

Why is slavery wrong?

Please explain your reasoning in detail.

And please at least try to keep it civil. I know, I know, its hard, but try to make the effort to not turn it into a religious or political melee. :gang:

:)

This HAS TO BE a joke thread, right?

I'd love to see whites attempt to enslave blacks these days....it'd be quite comical indeed!

This HAS TO BE a joke thread, right?

I'd love to see whites attempt to enslave blacks these days....it'd be quite comical indeed!

Another note about this thread - I think we should all try to keep in mind that the U.S. white on black slavery is FAR from the only instance of slavery in world history.

It is a large piece of work, all of it doesn't have to be included in this specific discussion in order to take something valuable and true from it. Not picking what is or isn't true, only what is pertinent to this question. Mill's discussion includes individual liberties and government grows from that basis.

To me it's like putting the cart before the horse. Yes the cart is pulled by the horse butt he cart is not relevant to the discussion of horse biology....as an example.

You could have liberty or slavery either in the presense or absence of a government. You don't have the governed without a government and the presense of a government is not required for there to be concept of fairness.

My point is that only a specific kind of fairness requires basic rights... It was a reply to your earlier statement:

... a couple of basic assumptions. 1st that all people have some basic rights, 2nd is that everyone's rights extend only to the point where they infringe on someone else's rights. Personally, I find that these two assumptions are required to be true by anyone who thinks, and has any sort of sense of fairness...

What specific kind of fairness doesn't involve basic rights? I'm not following you ...
... a couple of basic assumptions. 1st that all people have some basic rights, 2nd is that everyone's rights extend only to the point where they infringe on someone else's rights. Personally, I find that these two assumptions are required to be true by anyone who thinks, and has any sort of sense of fairness...
What did you mean by the statement in bold?

Archived