Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extreme Stats: Jason Campbell

slinky

PH2006051300791.jpg

Detailed below are the season stats so far for JC for many different passing situations. Stats are from STATS.com. I would love to hear your evaluation after seeing the stats. These stats are just for the NFC rankings.

From what I can tell... Jason...

* does better passing with fewer WRs. Maybe when there are 3+ WRs it is too much for him to manage (51.6 QB rating). Best to stick with 2 WR sets (99.8 rating).

* DOMINATES inside the opponents 20 (115.7 QB rating), but get's less effective when inside the 10 (95.8) (likely due to play calling more than his abilities).

* operates better from the shotgun (88.5).

* gets little help from WR/TE/RB on Yards After Catch.

* protects the ball better in 2nd half than in the 1st half (INTs only, not fumble related)

* Only 3 2nd half TD passes. And ZERO 3rd QTR TD passes. (mostly due to 2nd half conservativism by coaches)

What else can you analyze by these stats?

STATS:

1735 - passing yards (10th)

9 - passing TDs (8th)

59.5 - completion % (12th)

7 - INTs (9th)

79.9 - QB rating (10th)

192.8 - passing yards/game (11th)

13 - Big Plays of 25 yards or more (8th)

261 - Passing Attempts (9th)

156 - Completions ( 10th)

35.6% - %First Downs/Attempt (5th)

3.4% - %Touchdowns/Attempt (11th)

2.7% - %Passes Intercepted (7th)

14 - Sacked When Passing (6th)

59.7% - %Pass Comp, Close Games

53.7% - %Passes Comp, Late & Cl

58.6% - %Passes Comp, 1st Quar (12th)

54.3% - %Passes Comp, 4th+ Quar (20th)

64% - %Passes Comp, 1st & 10 (8th)

28.1% - %1st Dwn/Pass Att, 3rd & 8+ (9th)

47.6% - %1st Dwn/Pass Att, 3rd & 3-7 (9th)

50% - %1st Dwn/Pass Att, 3rd & <3 (12th)

41.7% - %Touchdowns/Attempt, In 10 (4th)

86 - Yds Lost on Penalty (1st w Romo sits to pee)

6 - Touchdowns Passing, 1st Half (6th)

3 - Touchdown Passes, 2nd Half (11th)

3 - Touchdown Passing, 4th Qtr (10th)

60.4% - %Completions, 1st Half (11th)

59.1% - %Completions, 2nd Half (11th)

53% - %Completions, 4th Qtr (16th)

40.2% - %First Downs, Pass on 3rd Down (8th)

64% - %Completions, Inside Opp 20 (3rd)

50% - %Completions, Inside Opp 10 (9th)

81.5 - QB Rating, 1st Half (10th)

78.3 - QB Rating, 2nd Half (10th)

77.9 - QB Rating, 4th Quarter (11th)

115.7 - QB Rating, In Opp 20 (2nd)

95.8 - QB Rating, In Opp 10 (8th)

5 - Interceptions, 1st Half (5th)

2 - Interceptions, 2nd Half (16th)

1 - Interceptions, 4th Quarter (16th)

90 - QB Rating, Home (7th)

68.9 - QB Rating, Away (18th)

88.5 - QB Rating, Shotgun (5th)

99.8 - QB Rating, 2 Wide Rec. (2nd)

51.6 - QB Rating, 3 Wide Rec. (10th)

no stats QB Rating, 4 Wide Rec.

5.1% - %Sacks/Attempt (8th)

764 - Yds After Catch (QBs) (9th)

6.65 - Passing Yds/Attempt (9th)

Some things to point out that does not look good. 2nd half stats drop off for the most part for him. Comp. %, TD's , QB rating, etc...Place blame wherever you want to but it ultimately falls on the QBs shoulders to get better during a game, not tail off. Also, I'm not sure where you came up with the fact that he is not helped by YAC yards. By you own stats he has almost 50% of his passing yards attributed to YAC yards. That's pretty good if you ask me. :2cents:

Stats are very informative but I cannot read those and draw an accurate conclueion from them. What i can draw a conclusion from is watching him play. If you watch Campbell throw, it is absolutely unbelievable how well he can see the field and how well he throws the ball. 3 plays that really show me that are the plays as follows.

The pass to Chris Cooley over the middle. Campbell only had a split second to see Cooley and dump it off, resulting in a first down. Campbell was under a lot of pressure and was very close to getting hit, but he made a snap decision delivering the ball right in Cooley's chest.

The TD pass to McCardell. Campbell had about 6 inches of space to throw the football into and he hit McCardell right in the hands, right on the sidelines. Ball got right past the defender before he had a chance to do anything, and even if he had the chance, he wouldnt have been able to reach it.

Another huge play i noticed was when Campbell threw the ball just out of the reach of Cooley in the back of the endzone. Cooley had 3 defenders behind him, and Campbell, under distress, threw the ball over the top, where only Cooley could catch it, or it wouldnt be caught. He didnt force these throws, he effectively hit his recievers where there were few places that would result in disaster.

Campbell looks like he has the ability to take this team on his back. He has the talent he's still learning and he's going to continue to improve. This team has been playing Musical WR's this year which cant be good for his timing/repor with the recievers.

Some things to point out that does not look good. 2nd half stats drop off for the most part for him. Comp. %, TD's , QB rating, etc...Place blame wherever you want to but it ultimately falls on the QBs shoulders to get better during a game, not tail off. Also, I'm not sure where you came up with the fact that he is not helped by YAC yards. By you own stats he has almost 50% of his passing yards attributed to YAC yards. That's pretty good if you ask me. :2cents:

thats relative to other NFC QBs. I think his YAC is like half of what Romo sits to pee is and he ranks 9th in NFC for YAC

Stats are very informative but I cannot read those and draw an accurate conclueion from them. What i can draw a conclusion from is watching him play. If you watch Campbell throw, it is absolutely unbelievable how well he can see the field and how well he throws the ball. 3 plays that really show me that are the plays as follows.

The pass to Chris Cooley over the middle. Campbell only had a split second to see Cooley and dump it off, resulting in a first down. Campbell was under a lot of pressure and was very close to getting hit, but he made a snap decision delivering the ball right in Cooley's chest.

The TD pass to McCardell. Campbell had about 6 inches of space to throw the football into and he hit McCardell right in the hands, right on the sidelines. Ball got right past the defender before he had a chance to do anything, and even if he had the chance, he wouldnt have been able to reach it.

Another huge play i noticed was when Campbell threw the ball just out of the reach of Cooley in the back of the endzone. Cooley had 3 defenders behind him, and Campbell, under distress, threw the ball over the top, where only Cooley could catch it, or it wouldnt be caught. He didnt force these throws, he effectively hit his recievers where there were few places that would result in disaster.

Campbell looks like he has the ability to take this team on his back. He has the talent he's still learning and he's going to continue to improve. This team has been playing Musical WR's this year which cant be good for his timing/repor with the recievers.

these stats are not just to see how good or bad JC is... but also to see how he is used and/or not used in game situations.

these stats are not just to see how good or bad JC is... but also to see how he is used and/or not used in game situations.

understood, i wasnt sayin that to dispute your post, just giving my personal analysis of JC. I understand what you were saying, i was just saying how i personally would "break" him down.

* gets little help from WR/TE/RB on Yards After Catch.

Our receivers have to adjust to catch JC's passes. The only receiver that seem to be on stride when he catches the ball from JC is Chris Cooley, but then Chris is slow so he doesn't get many yards before the gang comes. I honestly can't think of many occasions where the receivers catch the ball in stride.

2nd half stats drop off for the most part for him. Comp. %, TD's , QB rating, etc...Place blame wherever you want to but it ultimately falls on the QBs shoulders to get better during a game, not tail off.

Yeah but many for the WR drops came in the second half of games as well so you have to factor that in.

Archived