Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the heck is data retrieval?

Quixote

I'm applying for a job. they ask for my experience in data retrieval. only thing I can think of is finding lost or damaged info on a harddrive but thats definately not what this job is talking about.

are they talking about digging numbers from a spread sheet? basic research?

Probably not a good sign but I'm still gonna apply.

I'm applying for a job. they ask for my experience in data retrieval. only thing I can think of is finding lost or damaged info on a harddrive but thats definately not what this job is talking about.

What job are you applying for? I'm in IT and they could be talking about writing SQL queries to retrieve data from a database, such as Microsoft Access or SQL Server. If I had some more information about the job, I might be able to answer your question better.

What job are you applying for? I'm in IT and they could be talking about writing SQL queries to retrieve data from a database, such as Microsoft Access or SQL Server. If I had some more information about the job, I might be able to answer your question better.

its working in a library... here is the job advert:

Responsible for retrieving, copying, scanning and the electronic and print delivery of materials from the VCU Libraries' collections to VCU users. Assist with borrowing materials from other libraries for VCU users. Assist with loaning materials from VCU Libraries' collections to other libraries. Use DOCLINE, OCLC, ILLiad, Ariel, Odyssey, fax machine and request forms. Train and monitor student/hourly employees. Provide courteous and efficient services to library users. Maintain accurate records of transactions and invoicing information. Back-up co-workers in Resource Delivery Services. Marginal: Participate in departmental projects, new staff training and other duties as assigned.

Qualifications: Some years of college work or equivalent training and work experience with on-line catalogs and microcomputers. Proficient with work processing and spreadsheet applications as well as data entry and retrieval. Evidence of strong service orientation. Prefer: Experience working in libraries and interlibrary loan services. Experience or training using DOCLINE, ILLiad, OCLC or similar systems.

Responsible for retrieving, copying, scanning and the electronic and print delivery of materials from the VCU Libraries' collections to VCU users. Assist with borrowing materials from other libraries for VCU users. Assist with loaning materials from VCU Libraries' collections to other libraries. Use DOCLINE, OCLC, ILLiad, Ariel, Odyssey, fax machine and request forms. Train and monitor student/hourly employees. Provide courteous and efficient services to library users. Maintain accurate records of transactions and invoicing information. Back-up co-workers in Resource Delivery Services. Marginal: Participate in departmental projects, new staff training and other duties as assigned.

Qualifications: Some years of college work or equivalent training and work experience with on-line catalogs and microcomputers. Proficient with work processing and spreadsheet applications as well as data entry and retrieval. Evidence of strong service orientation. Prefer: Experience working in libraries and interlibrary loan services. Experience or training using DOCLINE, ILLiad, OCLC or similar systems.

It's probably something like this. Also, could mean they expect you to do the research for other people's projects.

Yeah, got to be the database thing. Probably access.

It's probably something like this. Also, could mean they expect you to do the research for other people's projects.

Yeah, got to be the database thing. Probably access.

ugh, man..... screw this job stuff. now I know why there are hippies. Thanks for the help everyone.

The job description indicates data ENTRY and RETRIEVAL, so my guess is that you wouldn't be writing any native SQL queries. In other words, they probably have a system that they will have to train you on to enter information and retrieve information. I'm sure its no big deal. If you have an interview with them, just go in there with confidence and let them know that if there's something you don't know, that you are willing and able to learn it.

Good luck.

ugh, man..... screw this job stuff. now I know why there are hippies. Thanks for the help everyone.

The job description indicates data ENTRY and RETRIEVAL, so my guess is that you wouldn't be writing any native SQL queries. In other words, they probably have a system that they will have to train you on to enter information and retrieve information. I'm sure its no big deal. If you have an interview with them, just go in there with confidence and let them know that if there's something you don't know, that you are willing and able to learn it.

Good luck.

Archived