Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Masters Degrees and their utility

SkinsNumberOne

Wow, thanks to everyone who answered. I really appreciate it. I like to actually understand things, and I was hearing so many differing opinions on it, and I probably misunderstood the initial thing that my friend taking Chemistry was saying. I think, based on what I'm reading here, that I replaced "BS" with "MS" because he made a comment about "with this degree you'll probably end up washing glassware" (and I thought he said MS but he probably said BS). Of course this was a long time ago when he started his PhD program (right out of BS) so maybe he didn't know exactly what he was talking about (his Dad has a PhD so his reference may have been skewed).

Anyway, I see now that there is value in getting an MS. To address some of the questions you have, her primary interest as she entered was animal communication. There have been issues with the original professor who she was going to work with, so now she was looking at DNA methylation. Now an opportunity opened with animal communication but it will force her to move, so she was asking me for advice. I couldn't advise because (and there are other affecting issues) I didn't know what she'd be able to do with a master's degree, and if it would help her with her goals - I do know she has no current plans for a PhD. If she couldn't do much with it, I'd say she shouldn't move most likely, because it's a lot of pain (again there are other issues too) and it won't help her enough in the long run.

After reading all these great replies (thanks again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it) I see she should be ok getting the MS. I think she'd be ok as a member of a team doing research, and from what I'm reading this would be possible with an MS, and she should be able to be a valuable member. I can see that in the future she might like to get a PhD, but that's up to her. I know she is also interested in potentially being a teacher as well, and that avenue is open (I'm sure a PhD opens up more opportunities in teaching, but I see from here that you have some options as an MS too, I think I knew this in the past but more recently I've been kind of focused in a closed world I guess).

Thanks again all. If my reply gives you more insight and you have anything more to add, feel free, because I'm certainly still curious.

It really depends on the field and what people actually want to do with it....

My parents both have Master's Degrees in Education. One of my younger brothers will be getting his PhD in Microbiology in a couple weeks. My other brother has a Master's Degree in Early Childhood Psychology. I, on the other hand have an Associate of Science degree in Computerized Drafting.

Black sheep I see :P

It really depends on the field and what people actually want to do with it....

My parents both have Master's Degrees in Education. One of my younger brothers will be getting his PhD in Microbiology in a couple weeks. My other brother has a Master's Degree in Early Childhood Psychology. I, on the other hand have an Associate of Science degree in Computerized Drafting.

As to the initial question, it depends on the discipline and what field you want to study. Take engineering for example. If you want to work as a nuts and bolts designer, or run a project, a masters is needed bare minimum. If you want to work in industry and run a department, a BS with an MBA is desired. If you want to go into research and academia, a PhD with post doc work is needed.

In Biology, a Masters will get you a job with around a $150K glass ceiling, and you would need to get another degree, or MBA to go into the higher management positions in industry. If you want to do strictly cutting edge research, a PhD is bare minimum with some post doc work.

As for me, I have my BS, and a ton of grad courses under my belt not in any specific discipline. I was taking government courses last year for example. I will go and get my MBA when I hit 40 in about 4 years, and I will then turn to the management side of my career. . .but right now, i am more than content with my job, it is high level engineering with a high reward and recognition. I started the job under qualified, but my experience makes up for my lack of an MS right now. In the future, if I ever make the jump back to industry, I will take over on the managerial side, not the grunt work side. I like the grunt work currently, and I am compensated exceptionally, so I am not in a rush to change anything.

It all is a matter of preference, what the person wants to do, and what field they are in as to what degree is preferred.

As to the initial question, it depends on the discipline and what field you want to study. Take engineering for example. If you want to work as a nuts and bolts designer, or run a project, a masters is needed bare minimum. If you want to work in industry and run a department, a BS with an MBA is desired. If you want to go into research and academia, a PhD with post doc work is needed.

In Biology, a Masters will get you a job with around a $150K glass ceiling, and you would need to get another degree, or MBA to go into the higher management positions in industry. If you want to do strictly cutting edge research, a PhD is bare minimum with some post doc work.

As for me, I have my BS, and a ton of grad courses under my belt not in any specific discipline. I was taking government courses last year for example. I will go and get my MBA when I hit 40 in about 4 years, and I will then turn to the management side of my career. . .but right now, i am more than content with my job, it is high level engineering with a high reward and recognition. I started the job under qualified, but my experience makes up for my lack of an MS right now. In the future, if I ever make the jump back to industry, I will take over on the managerial side, not the grunt work side. I like the grunt work currently, and I am compensated exceptionally, so I am not in a rush to change anything.

It all is a matter of preference, what the person wants to do, and what field they are in as to what degree is preferred.

Interestingly enough it's the brother who is the soon-to-be PhD who pointed out the fact that I'm currently making more than my father ever did, and more than either he or the third brother ever will.

Not so much a black sheep as the one who chose a field that doesn't require a Bachelor's or Master's or PhD to do well in. There wasn't even a Bachelor's program for CAD when I graduated in 1994. I still don't believe there is one anywhere. Hell, JWU was the only East Coast school offering a DEGREE program at all in it then. There was one school in CA that did as well, but I wan't interested in going out there.

Interestingly enough it's the brother who is the soon-to-be PhD who pointed out the fact that I'm currently making more than my father ever did, and more than either he or the third brother ever will.

Not so much a black sheep as the one who chose a field that doesn't require a Bachelor's or Master's or PhD to do well in. There wasn't even a Bachelor's program for CAD when I graduated in 1994. I still don't believe there is one anywhere. Hell, JWU was the only East Coast school offering a DEGREE program at all in it then. There was one school in CA that did as well, but I wan't interested in going out there.

Just messing with ya man ;)

Just messing with ya man ;)

Archived