Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Easiest way to avoid Telemarketing

@DCGoldPants

This is based on that other thread. I've been doing this for years.

I call the phone company and say "I rent a room to a guy who uses the phone more than any of us. I'd like the bills in my name and the caller ID to be in his name" They usually have no problem with that and will accept just about any name. Now when telemarketers usually try to connect your name and your number with currently services you've already signed up for, it's not going to work. Since this fake name has no SS# and has bought nothing ever for that address, the number of calls I get in a year might be 5 tops. All of them people like local fighter fighters or Police Boosters. It's awesome.

love

Johnny Socrates

Originally posted by Bandit

I call the phone company and say "I rent a room to a guy who uses the phone more than any of us. I'd like the bills in my name and the caller ID to be in his name" They usually have no problem with that and will accept just about any name. Now when telemarketers usually try to connect your name and your number with currently services you've already signed up for, it's not going to work. Since this fake name has no SS# and has bought nothing ever for that address, the number of calls I get in a year might be 5 tops. All of them people like local fighter fighters or Police Boosters. It's awesome.

I just told the phone company my name was Art Mills, and now the only unsolicited calls I get are from Astroglide and K-Y salespeople. :laugh:

(joking, Art. :))

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS Art, I looked into it further, and ahhhhh Dr. Jones, you are right (as per the STOTU thread--) & I make a bit less than that figure mentioned. WHICH SUXXXX!!!

Ah well, I didn't think I would agree with everything you responded to, and didn't think I was 100% on it

-but thanks for responding anyway.:D :D

If you have time you could have fun with them:

1)act insane- asking many questions about what they are selling, then lead into many questions that have nothing to do with what they're selling, without getting offensive. If they ask to speak to someone else, continue asking them questions.

2) act genuinely interested in speaking to them and tell them to hold on for a second, set the phone down and go about your business until you hear your phone make that"off-hook" sound.

I got a "Tele-Zapper" early last year and I went from 50 to 70 telemarketer calls a week to about 3. It takes some time for it to work, but boy, it works.

What it does is that when a telemarketer calls you, they use a computer to dial the number. When you pick up the phone(even with a answering machine this works), the "tele-zapper" sends a signal back to the computer telling it that the number is no longer in service. The computer then deletes your number from the database. The only time a telemarketer gets through, is when they dial it themselfs, like the local firestation looking for a donation, which I don't mind donating to.

It costs $50 bucks at Radioshack and it is well worth it.

Archived