Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't Portis be a 3rd down back?

CmTerpsNSkins

Ok, forget for a second that we gave up a lot for him and are paying him big money to be a 3rd down back. Also, he probably wouldn't want to do it. But from a total football perspective, I would think he would be dynamite as a 3rd down back, and let Betts be the primary back. Gibbs 1 was famous for this -- Kelvin Bryant, Ricky Ervins, Earnest Byner. CP would thrive in this role, and his career would be extended. I know it's not going to happen, just wanted to throw it out there for discussion.

You can't forget salary considerations.

You can't have a 3rd down back with a 50 million dollar deal.

You just can't.

Why not make Dwight Freeney a situational 3rd down rusher?

I don't think Portis' knee will ever be the same again unless he takes like a year off, meaninghe won't ever be the same again. . .

I know no one has brough it up, but hey, that Champ Bailey trade was brilliant, wasn't it. . .

Portis wouldn't rework his deal because I think he doesn't like the system we're running, smells the weakness in Gibbs, and would rather go somewhere for a million or two a year less. . .Unless he is just totally business focused. . .but I doubt he is happy with situation here. . .

For the same reasons George Rogers, John Riggins, and Gerald Riggs wasn't our third down back except in short yardage situations. Clinton Portis is in the same role Rogers, Riggins, and Riggs was in. He could thrive in that 3rd & long role, but the Redskins have other personell for that role(Betts).

Salary has never been an issue here. I like the idea of Portis being fresh for 3rd and must get X. Frankly I'd like to trade betts for a late round pick, and draft a fresh running back to groom to replace Portis, and allow Rocky and Sellars to carry a few more times :/

WTF are yall smokin? Portis just has nowhere to go.....very few lanes!!!! He's still a top 5 back if he had a DECENT o-line! Fabini SUCKS!
to do with money or production at RB. Its all about the O Line, i doubt L Betts would have had success last year if he didnt have a healthy starting O Line, thats one thing i enjoyed last year the line was healthy wbut with out CP and Betts reaped the benefits, this O Line cant do anything outside of block the guy infront of them, fact the facts the right side has career backups and a rookie

WTF are yall smokin? Portis just has nowhere to go.....very few lanes!!!! He's still a top 5 back if he had a DECENT o-line! Fabini SUCKS!
to do with money or production at RB. Its all about the O Line, i doubt L Betts would have had success last year if he didnt have a healthy starting O Line, thats one thing i enjoyed last year the line was healthy wbut with out CP and Betts reaped the benefits, this O Line cant do anything outside of block the guy infront of them, fact the facts the right side has career backups and a rookie

when we have an o-line Portis is legit! When he's healthy and the o-line is blocking he's put up franchise records in Washington! So quickly you so called football fans/GMs want to jump on a player because you don't see production from him and think it's his fault. Stephen Jackson is fighting the injury bug and also the o-line problems! Look at Edge....we all know he's great....he's just getting going with the o-line in Zona after struggling for a while. Some of you fools have no idea WTF football is about....all you know is what you see in the stats

when we have an o-line Portis is legit! When he's healthy and the o-line is blocking he's put up franchise records in Washington! So quickly you so called football fans/GMs want to jump on a player because you don't see production from him and think it's his fault. Stephen Jackson is fighting the injury bug and also the o-line problems! Look at Edge....we all know he's great....he's just getting going with the o-line in Zona after struggling for a while. Some of you fools have no idea WTF football is about....all you know is what you see in the stats

This dude zOeboy has a man crush on Portis is totaly oblivious to football. I wonder if this is actually a girl.
why take personal shots at me? the offensive line sucks thats a fact and a football team is only as good as thier repected lines thats where it all starts who can control the line of scrimmage and on offense the redskins cant even double team shed blocks and get to the next level cant lead block cant hit LBs or even block in open space how can any running back be effective when guys are allowed to come at them full speed untouched, R Thomas used to lead block and punish the guy in his way so did Jansen and the redskins are lacking due to injury to key probowl type players

This dude zOeboy has a man crush on Portis is totaly oblivious to football. I wonder if this is actually a girl.
why take personal shots at me? the offensive line sucks thats a fact and a football team is only as good as thier repected lines thats where it all starts who can control the line of scrimmage and on offense the redskins cant even double team shed blocks and get to the next level cant lead block cant hit LBs or even block in open space how can any running back be effective when guys are allowed to come at them full speed untouched, R Thomas used to lead block and punish the guy in his way so did Jansen and the redskins are lacking due to injury to key probowl type players

I know what I see with my own two eyes. And Portis's inability to break a tackle from a DB or to even utilize the stiff arm to push defenders away. He falls down so easily, especially of initial contact. What does that have to do with the OLine when he's already past them and into the secondary.

if it injuries and practice habits that makes him look like a mediocre back right now, then so be it. But you can't keep making excuses for the man he's giving the opportunities to make plays and ends up falling down because the wind is blowing hard. :doh:

I know what I see with my own two eyes. And Portis's inability to break a tackle from a DB or to even utilize the stiff arm to push defenders away. He falls down so easily, especially of initial contact. What does that have to do with the OLine when he's already past them and into the secondary.

if it injuries and practice habits that makes him look like a mediocre back right now, then so be it. But you can't keep making excuses for the man he's giving the opportunities to make plays and ends up falling down because the wind is blowing hard. :doh:

You're right, my bad. No harm intended.

You're right, my bad. No harm intended.

I love the idea of Portis being the 3rd down back but I dont like the idea of them completely switching roles. I would like to see Betts get more first down carries and Portis get all of the 3rd down ones though. To me, Betts is just a better 1st down back than a 3rd down one besides the fact that we are taking our most elusive back out of the game just when he has the chance to get the ball in space. Thats just never made sense.... Plus Portis is a better blocker... Not that Betts is a bad one or anything.

I love the idea of Portis being the 3rd down back but I dont like the idea of them completely switching roles. I would like to see Betts get more first down carries and Portis get all of the 3rd down ones though. To me, Betts is just a better 1st down back than a 3rd down one besides the fact that we are taking our most elusive back out of the game just when he has the chance to get the ball in space. Thats just never made sense.... Plus Portis is a better blocker... Not that Betts is a bad one or anything.

The fact that our franchise record for yards is just over 1500 yards is a joke.

Top 5 running backs today put up 1500 yards or close to it year after year. Portis has put up 1500 yards once in the last three years and it is looking pretty clear so far that its gonna be once in four years after this year is over.

Portis is not an elite back, period.

The fact that our franchise record for yards is just over 1500 yards is a joke.

Top 5 running backs today put up 1500 yards or close to it year after year. Portis has put up 1500 yards once in the last three years and it is looking pretty clear so far that its gonna be once in four years after this year is over.

Portis is not an elite back, period.

Archived