Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Until Proven Otherwise....Run Sellers

HateYanksDukeCowboys

Its been a long time since I've started a thread. Mostly because the members of E.S. are so good about covering the topics I want to discuss. My apologies if this is a redundant thread, but I did a search and found no such theme before creating this one. Alas.............with fear of stating the obvious:

If we have anything under four yards to go, be it for a first down or a Touchdown; our automatic default play should be a Mike Sellers run middle. This is no indictment on Clinton Portis, but all 212 lbs of him is simply the WRONG call in goal-line situations and short yardage plays. Has anyone noticed that when Mike Sellers gets the ball he falls FORWARD? He's what, 6"3? That's two yards right there if all he does is fall down. And we all know he does a lot more than that when he makes contact with a defensive victim.

Sellers outweighs John Riggins' playing weight by 40 lbs, and even though every team in the league knew what was coming, we continued to ram Riggo down their throat. Why? Because nobody proved they could stop him. The same goes for Mike Sellers. Stop trying to out think everybody and utilize the personnel you have. Running Sellers equals Touchdowns and First Downs. Period.

Its been a long time since I've started a thread. Mostly because the members of E.S. are so good about covering the topics I want to discuss. My apologies if this is a redundant thread, but I did a search and found no such theme before creating this one. Alas.............with fear of stating the obvious:

If we have anything under four yards to go, be it for a first down or a Touchdown; our automatic default play should be a Mike Sellers run middle. This is no indictment on Clinton Portis, but all 212 lbs of him is simply the WRONG call in goal-line situations and short yardage plays. Has anyone noticed that when Mike Sellers gets the ball he falls FORWARD? He's what, 6"3? That's two yards right there if all he does is fall down. And we all know he does a lot more than that when he makes contact with a defensive victim.

Sellers outweighs John Riggins' playing weight by 40 lbs, and even though every team in the league knew what was coming, we continued to ram Riggo down their throat. Why? Because nobody proved they could stop him. The same goes for Mike Sellers. Stop trying to out think everybody and utilize the personnel you have. Running Sellers equals Touchdowns and First Downs. Period.

yeah you may as well run him because he cant catch worth crap

Honestly, if Clinton were healthy, I would still rather give him the ball in such situtations above anyone else. Being that he is still favoring his knee however, having Mike run instead is probably a good idea.

Sellers is somewhat like Duckett in that he runs much harder and better when he has a few steps to get some momentum going and square his shoulders - it doesn't matter with CP IMO.

He dropped ONE pass and you say he can't catch worth crap? You must've missed all the other catches he's made.

I wouldn't say he can't catch worth a crap but that was a BIG drop and so was the TD in the Giants game , thats 2 BIG drops , he did make a big TD catch but that was the Lions , Mike can catch but he isn't as proven catching the ball as he is running the ball for 1 yard , he shoulda ran it

I definitely think Sellers should have gotten the ball on the 4th and 2. I can also see the coaches point of view...that our OL was decimated and there would be a chance he'd be stuffed. What I don't understand is the pass to the flat SHORT of the first down.

Honestly, if Clinton were healthy, I would still rather give him the ball in such situtations above anyone else. Being that he is still favoring his knee however, having Mike run instead is probably a good idea.

Well I seriously doubt Clinton will play another game for the rest of his career where he is 100% healthy. Aikman had some insightful comments about that fact during the game yesterday.

To address your point though, I've seen Clinton get dropped for losses SO many times in short yardage situations that I have lost count. Its happened enough for me to believe he simply isn't the best guy to be running the ball in those situations.

Archived