Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dog Bites Man

NavyDave

WMAL radio reported.

A 43 year old Va man called his wife last nite to tell her he was going to kill their dog after it had bit him and proceeeded to beat the dog with the butt of a shotgun..........

The wife returned home the following morning to find her hubby dead covered with multiple dog bites and a shotgun blast to the stomach.

Hmm...I wonder why the dog bit him the first time?...ahem..."in a related story"..sort of...Did anyone hear about the dog that was shot by two cops on a suppposed felony traffic stop?...The dog got out of the car to jump around and bark at the flashlight after the owners told the cops to shut the car door so the dog wouldn't get out. Also, the owners said, just let us get him in the car, instead the two cops unloaded on the dog.

Yeah, jurgy, I heard and saw the dashboard camera footage of it. To make matters worse, the family had been mistaken for felony suspects and were totally uninvolved in the crime the cops were investigating.

So this family's innocently driving along, only to be pulled over in a felony stop w/multiple police cars, followed by the shooting of their dog. It's enough to ruin anyone's evening.

Did the man ever say why the dog bit him in the first place to the wife? He had to do something to it. What kind of dog was it?

Jurgy, That story makes me sad. If it were me driving down the road and I got pulled over before I stepped out of the car I would have shut the door. My wife be smart enough to do the same. The dogs would only try to protect them from what they percieved as a threat presented by the police. The cops and city will be lucky if they don't get sued on that one.

I believe that any lawsuit would probably not seek damages from the loss of the dog. At least the lawsuit would not be worth its cost to pursue.

I think in most states the extent of the liability over the loss of a dog where negligence is proven, is limited to the purchase price of the dog, any loss of income that can be proven from the breeding of the dog, and any other verifiable expenses that went into keeping the dog.

Animal advocates have been trying to get this changed for quite some time in cases where dogs have died in transit on airlines.

I totally agree, but ya never know. It could have slipped their minds when being pulled over and asked to slowly back to the car with their hands on their heads *who knows*. But I just watched the video for the first time and wasn't able to see exactly what the dog was doing to the right and the first cop that shot. It's a tradgedy either way but hopefully they will teach some lighter measures in their police training, such as pepper spray or their sticks. I'm not against the police by any means, just think sometimes they freak out a lil too early and I know some of the split decision making that they sometimes have to use, but I think this could have been avoided.

I haven't made up my mind abuot that incident either. I too couldn't see exactly what the dog was doing - beyond generally running around - as it was off camera. It was pointed out that his tail was wagging though.

But keep in mind that it was a felony stop for - if I recall - armed robbery suspects, so the cops had a right to be a bit on edge. That they pulled over a family of four with their dog, well . . .

We had a similar incident in my area where a campus cop shot a dog that was barking at him (the dog was in it's own yard while campus cop walked by).

I'm a dog lover and am not afraid of them. I've had dogs charge me before, but when they realized I wasn't afraid of them, they backed off and just barked at me.

I own several hand guns and if someone shot one of my dogs, I would shoot them, peroid, cop or no cop.

The dog shooting was a terrible abuse of power. The county/state has already said they are sorry. WTF, sorry? The cops involved should lose there jobs, period end of story. What's next, shoot the bystander because you feel threatened.

I am usually one to completely believe in the "Cops" rule... If you find yourself in a situation that should be on the show "Cops" then you are doing something wrong. Stop, and slowly back away....

In this case the police were called because the man had left his wallet on the roof when then got gas and some good person called the police to report the car driving off. Some how that got turned into a robbery. So the cops pull this guy over (the car as described by the people who saw this man lose his wallet) and find a family of three and their two dogs. The family asks the police to shut the door so the dogs do not get out, they do not. Then the dog is playing at the side of the road and start to chase the flash light (as it does at home). The family is telling the police what is going on and what do the police do, shoot the dog. The man had to be restrained (heck, if it was me, you would have had to shoot me if you just shot my dog because nothing else would stop me from going after that cop). The police do not contradict this account and the incident is under investigation.

Bottom line, those cops completely over-reacted and should lose their jobs before a person is at the other end of the gun.

Originally posted by gstahl

The dog shooting was a terrible abuse of power. The county/state has already said they are sorry. WTF, sorry? The cops involved should lose there jobs, period end of story. What's next, shoot the bystander because you feel threatened.

I am usually one to completely believe in the "Cops" rule... If you find yourself in a situation that should be on the show "Cops" then you are doing something wrong. Stop, and slowly back away....

In this case the police were called because the man had left his wallet on the roof when then got gas and some good person called the police to report the car driving off. Some how that got turned into a robbery. So the cops pull this guy over (the car as described by the people who saw this man lose his wallet) and find a family of three and their two dogs. The family asks the police to shut the door so the dogs do not get out, they do not. Then the dog is playing at the side of the road and start to chase the flash light (as it does at home). The family is telling the police what is going on and what do the police do, shoot the dog. The man had to be restrained (heck, if it was me, you would have had to shoot me if you just shot my dog because nothing else would stop me from going after that cop). The police do not contradict this account and the incident is under investigation.

Bottom line, those cops completely over-reacted and should lose their jobs before a person is at the other end of the gun.

I agree 100%, I would totally freak out and they would have to shoot me as well... My dogs are my children. They are family.

Archived