Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

two thoughts to stimulate/irritate

fansince62

1) the media provided a lot of attention to the women of WTC victims who flew to Iraq to preen for peace. There were 2000+ victims...I didn't see any major media outlet attempt to capture the thoughts of survivors who have a different point-of-view

2) why is it the peace/anti-war types never accept responsibility or protest in mass when their preferred policies result in more death/suffering? I can't recall any massive DC protests following all the deaths in Jane Fonda Sea (boat people) or noble protests over the "reeducation" camps that followed the NV assumption of power in SV. No protests - ever - over Saddam's use of chemical weapons, documented tortures, invasions of neutral countries, etc. Could it be these folks are morally feckless?

Fansince:

You might find your answer by questioning your own "morality" before making rhetorical generalizations about others ...

But that would require you to abandon your tiresome method of beginning posts, namely:

"Why do Liberals (fill in the blank)? What are the reasons? What are the details for the reasons? Please, Liberals, justify your stance to me, the all-wise fansince62, while I provide no justification, basis and/or evidence whatsoever for mine"

In other words ...

*yawn*

rd..........the questions are entirely legitimate (and the format appropriate for a message board such as this where doctoral theses are not the order of the day)...if they strike too close to home: too bad, so sad.

i did not have to dream any of this up. NPR, Donahue, editorial pages of the Post/NYTimes, Hardball, MoveOn web site, Larry King guests (can Sean Penn string two consecutive thoughts in a coherent fashion?), CSPAN, (*ell, I even watched a complete idiot on Business Week tonight sermonizing about how terrible an Iraqi war would be as this would lead to increased stock market volatility: and this has what to do with WMDs and liberating the Iraqi people from a murdering dictator one might ask) - you name it - we are bombarded on a daily basis by moralizing, sanctimonious windbags. There is almost routinely a thinly veiled contempt for our national leadership and for anyone disposed to using force to advance the interests of this country. It is their right as citizens to speak out. There is no reflexive requirement to absorb these ceaseless body shots without reflecting on the consistency of their actions and positions. There is a moral calculus at play and a more developed, honest analysis by our modern day heros and heroines of the sacred heart would prove useful. In short, if you're going to be virtuous it shouldn't be a part time avocation.

read the god *amn newspapers...if you don't think the ivins, diones, ignatiouses (sp?), mccorys, cohens, kinsleys and on aren't fulsomely short on substance while knee deep in invective, sarcasm and personal effrontry, I recommend you pay closer attention to what passes for enlightened debate these days. Listen to the folks from MoveOn for a while...how they are blessed with special insights into the true desires of the American public. What pompous, arrogant widgets they are. The level of discourse in this country has fallen to appalling levels.

There is plenty of room for reasoned, even heated debate. You're sadly deluded, however, if you feel that every jagged response issues from some deep welled, irrational intolerance. You don't get it - it's precisely the arrogant, moralizing subtext to most scribblings by these oracles of righteousness that provokes so many.

"Some of my best friends are liberals"...as the old saw goes. You have drawn the connection between antiwar protestors and liberals......not me. Please allow a little more attention-to-detail.

It's getting tedious to have to add this duty statement as well: yes there are maroons on the conservative side of the aisle. yes there are some depressingly shallow folks screaming from the balconeys for war who conveniently avoid any personal risk. but that's not what we're discussing just now. you want to throw the gauntlet down...be my guest. start a thread challenging other points-of-view. this thread started with observations of fact that no one has challenged with contravening facts. that you don't like the tone is your perogative and your hang-up.

the anti-war (Iraq) "movement" is organizing, using the Internet to not only spread the "message" and collect funds, but to coordinate the activities of formerly disjoint interest groups. Two wealthy Silicon Valley types have provided an initial, substantial funding seed to get things started. There is a definite prosylitizing edge to what these folks are about. Sorry if some individual voices raise a few questioning eyebrows.....I realize its unfair to examine these groups with the same skepticism that they apply to the policies and statements of the government.

also....sleeping at the intellectual wheel can be a dangerous thing. you should see a doctor!

Tsk, tsk, tsk, fansince62. Aren't you "open-minded" enough to know that America is responsible for all the world's ills. Iraq's problems are caused by us. All the problems of the Third World are caused by us. Heck, I may have missed the memo, but I think we're also on the hook for arthritis and male pattern baldness!

Archived