Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Weeks Key Matchups

D-Day

STOP

Please put on the Homer glasses.

If Campbell continues to progress at the pace he has been improving every week and the skins can stop the run like they did in week 1 we will be fine. Too me these are the important matchups.

1. Our secondary on their receivers - I think GW has been using Springs sparingly this year in anticipation of this game. Springs will be covering a hobbled Burress, they don't have smith, and rodgers and Taylor should be able to shadow Tomer (If Carlos can't cover him by himself). Shockey is once again losing self control on the field so if we can frustrate him early he will take himself out of the game. From what I have heard, I think smoot will be back this week.

Advantage Skins depending on how much the injury to Burress effects him. If we have to double any receivers then we may have our hands full here.

2. G running game - Their oline is playing good and Ward is a surprisingly good back (I hate those little fast ****s in Giants Blue). Last week our LB's played off the line and philly was running easily. I think this matchup boiles down to what GW fears more Giants passing or running. If we drop back again then the giants will be able to run the ball. If we play the run first mentality then we should do OK.

Advantage - Skins - depends on how our DB's play

3. Our running game - Once you get past the front 4 of the G men then the it is on. If our patchwork right side holds up we will be fine. They have a career underachieving middle LB playing one outside backer and a DE playing the other outside. From what I have read the G -men fans are no longer in love with Pierce.

Advantage - Right now Even or to the Giants due to our oline being sum what a unknown, but a blocking back like sellers will probably even that out.

4. Pass blocking - We have handled the vaunted front 7 of Miami and the highly praised Eagles pass rush, but we had RT in there. Giants have been getting horrible LB play this year and they need all their DB's in coverage. I don't think we will see exotic blitzes just straight LB blitzes. CP is the wildcard here, which should help out our most important matchup of Strahan or Osi on Wade if needed (I think Wade will be fine)

Advantage - Skins

5. Our Passing Game - JC gets more accurate every game, he makes better decisions every game, and he is really starting to improvise to make plays. With our WR corp of Moss, Randel El, and cooley being built with speed in mind they should be open. I think we will attempt deep passes early and come out throwing to back the giants off the line.

Advantage Skins - I am also ready to see if either Caldwell or Loyld can play, Giants can't field two average CB's to start let alone a nickle. If they don't get open then we don't need them.

STOP

Take off the glasses

What do you guys see as important matchups? I would love to hear some info from Giants Fans but they don't seem to want to talk about this weeks game outside of Tom.

The Giants are 2-9 in their last 11 games. We're 2-0 and playing at home. If we were healthy, we could think of this as shaping up to be an easy win. But, how well will Wade and Fabini play, and how will the Skins strategy be affected?

I'm guessing that we see more two TE sets and less 3 WR, as we did in Philly. If we can run well, that's great. If we can't, the strategy will keep this game close because we will not be forcefully attacking the Giants weakness, their secondary.

I think Shockey will be an even bigger part of their game plan with a hobbled Plaxico Burress. But don't discount Burress and think of him as a "non factor" this week because of his injury. You see it all the time, a player (most of the time a "playmaker) who is injured comes out and has a big game. Part of it is b/c the player is a playmaker and thats what he does but I think the other reason is b/c the opposition underestimates the player b/c of their injury. With that said, I don't think Mr. Williams will do that and we will have luck keeping Plax under control, leaving Shockey as Eli's top option. That means Taylor &/or Landry will shadow him.

i think the offense could explode this game, i see no way that they can stop our run game or pass game for that matter. The only thing that could bring us down is the offensive line although i have a lot of confidence in them, Wade played really well last week vs Kearse and i think Fabini did a good job even with the 2 false starts, he came in cold without practicing with the 1st team offense ever. He should be fine this week.

Key Matchups:

Santana Moss v. NYG Secondary [sic]. It was evident on Monday v. the Eagles that Santana still has blazing speed and game-breaking route running ability. Against a suspect Giants secondary look for Campbell to throw 3 or 4 long balls with only one outcome in mind: 6. Don't have a short memory though, remember the Giants secondary status last year when they came to DC: abysmal. Yet the held M. Brunell to only 109 passing yards. There's one thing different this year however, it ain't Brunell takin' snaps.

Trenches, Skins O-line v. Giants D-line: This one's an obvious, especially on the right side with replacements fresh in. Fabini and Wade need to play like this was the last game of their life because the Giants are going to bring the house, early and often and late and some more. They need to bow up, make holes from Clinton and Ladell and play like professionals. If they can sustain, it will greatly contribute to game management.

Redskins field position v. Giants field position. Derrick Frost is punting with Hawaii in mind and he'll likely keep it up. Subsequently, the Redskins are managing games like they want back to the playoffs of 2005. Right now we're seeing Joe Gibbs football; I'm sorry, right now we're seeing effective Joe Gibbs football, and by effective I mean putting up the W. His philosophy likely succeeds if field position (and TOP) is in his favor.

I am more afraid of the Giants than I was of the Eagles.

Nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal, and thats exactly what the Giants are.

This game, is the Giants whole entire season, they won't be put down without a fight.

Key matchup of the game?

Whoever is on Plax

Linebackers vs Gmen running game.

Biggest key matchup to me is Eli vs. our secondary. We absolutely MUST convert some turnovers to win this game comfortably. We're good enough to win some games with a negative turnover ratio but this isn't one of them. Eli will turn it into a shootout if he's not picked a couple times.

exactly my thoughts, when the kid has got time and is comfortable, it isn't confused and scared Eli back there, it's Eli "I can play like Peyton" back there

Archived