Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dela-Where? Skin Fans!

FFskins72

It may be a joke and in the bottom three... BUT WE ARE THE FIRST STATE BABY!!! I just moved up to State College, PA though for grad school so technically I dont live in DE anymore but I will always call it my home.

I'm actually over a thousand miles away from Jersey myself but it will still always be home and it certainly smells a lot better than Philly!

:eaglesuck

That said, I'm sure we can both agree that Rhode Island sucks. :D

Y'all just don't understand what a weird and wild place Delaware can be. Well, weird anyway, but in a good way.

~It's a county masquerading as a state that runs off of the tollboth on 95 (drive thru anytime and leave us some more $$).

~It's a place where some people pay more for their license plates then the car they are on and the state hobby seems to be raising feral cats.

~Politicians so crooked that Nixon couldn't make the cut but no one likes to talk about it. The Emperor's New Clothes all had "Made in Delaware" labels.

~A diner where you can still get muskrat like mom used to make (just order the marsh rabbit).

It is one of those places you have to live for a while before you start to percieve the essential oddness, but that's part of it's charm.

Y'all just don't understand what a weird and wild place Delaware can be. Well, weird anyway, but in a good way.

~It's a county masquerading as a state that runs off of the tollboth on 95 (drive thru anytime and leave us some more $$).

~It's a place where some people pay more for their license plates then the car they are on and the state hobby seems to be raising feral cats.

~Politicians so crooked that Nixon couldn't make the cut but no one likes to talk about it. The Emperor's New Clothes all had "Made in Delaware" labels.

~A diner where you can still get muskrat like mom used to make (just order the marsh rabbit).

It is one of those places you have to live for a while before you start to percieve the essential oddness, but that's part of it's charm.

I'll just have to accept your take of DE as your opinion. I've lived in DE my whole life. I grew up in Lewes, attended college in Dover, and I bought a home in Newark. I think it has given me the interesting vantage of seeing the state from all angles. Each county id distinctly different from the next one.

Corruption is a universal theme nationally. The difference is the small media universe. The things that make the news like legislators getting busted for DUI would never make the news in places like DC. That's just the nature of the business.

Cuisine wise, I've never had the "marsh rabbit" that you mention, but I do know for a fact that muskratt is trapped and can be purchased from select buchershops along with all the main meat families. I won't call you a liar, for I haven't eaten in every restaurant the state offers, but I hae never seen it on the menu in any restaurant I patronized. The same goes for deer meat. I've seen it purchased at specialty butcher shops, but never sold in a restaurant. Maybe I should question the term "restaurant." In some very rural areas, that term may be used to describe the kitchen of a home when local residents pay for a platter. I could see muskrat being sold in that environment, but I hardly think places like that require a business license or receive routine health inspections to ensure proper dining stadards are being met. I don't think they qualify as a "restaurant."

You are dead-on with the license plate thing! That is comical. I went through the experience of obtaining the infamous "black-tag." I found out they are so hard to get because people have been holding on to them for what seems like a lifetime. Then finally you get one for your brand new car and see some hoopties roll past you with those plates. It is truly one of the funniest things I've seen in a lifetime.

Hey, don't take it the wrong way, I wasn't slammin' DE, but it is kinda in it's own little dimension in some ways. It's different, sometimes because it has to try hard to BE different to keep itself from being co-opted by PA or MD.

The Smyrna Diner did at last check have the rodent in question on their menu.

Yeah, corruption is endemic but my better half works for NCC and the whole Freeberry debacle is still fresh, mea culpa.

I still can't figure out the whole tag thing. I just saw an Aveo around the corner with a black tag in the 400's. I can guess the relative values on both and it has to be a gag!

Having said all that, I live here and like it. It's quirky in a lot of ways but that beats generic or bland any day.

Archived