Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Jean-Jacques Taylor on the Cowboys

tr1

This is Jean-Jacques special 'excuses' q&a...

01:02 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/chat/stories/091207dnspochat.c39bbfc7.html

Columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor answered your sports questions on Tuesday, Sept. 11.

• • •

From e-mail: Do you think Greg Ellis saw how Anthony Spencer was punishing Eli Manning and decided that he has been miraculously healed?

Nardo

Jean-Jacques Taylor: That's such a negative view. The guy has always come back from every injury he's had as fast as possible. He's older now and it takes more time. This is supposed to be a 12-18 month recovery period. He's at about 10 months.

• • •

mcloving: Coach Phillips said something yesterday about simplifying things more on defense. Is he saying his defense is too complicated?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: If the players are making mental mistakes, then maybe the game plan doesn't need to have so much in it. You can have the greatest blitzes in the world, but if guys mess up their assignments, it doesn't matter.

• • •

From e-mail: I do not think Roy Williams has a place in the Cowboys' defense any longer. I understand the old saying that you want your best players on the field, but he doesn't fit.

Jennifer

Jean-Jacques Taylor: They paid him $12 million up front last year, so he's not going anywhere. You have to realize the injury to Newman means they can't use Roy the way they envisioned right now.

• • •

From e-mail: In the last two or three years under Parcells, the Cowboys were never injured. Now, under Wade Phillips, the injury list is the length of one of Flozell Adams' arms. How much does "Camp Cupcake" play into this? Perhaps this team isn't in good enough shape?

Kevin

Jean-Jacques Taylor: Camp Cupcake has zero to do with a torn biceps (Ferguson), a messed-up knee (Glenn), plantar fascia (Newman) or recovery from a ruptured Achilles' (Ellis). If Camp Cupcake were the problem, players would be pulling muscles.

• • •

• • •

bjfriomatl: A few weeks ago I read that there was a "routine" surgery that Newman could have on his foot that would solve his problems and only keep him out a few weeks. With three of the next four opponents being offensively challanged, is there any talk of moving forward with the surgery to have Newman ready for the Pats?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: I don't remember reading that. I think surgery was going to keep him down longer than that. He'll try to manage it during the season and get it taken care of in the off-season, a couple of days after the season ends.

• • •

CWHITTI: If Terry Glenn decides to take the option of season-ending surgery, do you feel confident with the current receiving corps?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: Good question. Comfortable is too strong a word because Sam Hurd and Miles Austin have never really played. I think they can get the job done, but it won't always be pretty.

• • •

hncbvmhjh: Thoughts on Patrick Crayton as a punt returner? He seems slow to act in my opinion, and he isn't a threat to take on to the house. Who else can we try back there?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: The most important thing about returning punts is catching the ball. Ask Philadelphia, which lost because they muffed a punt at the end of the game. Crayton will catch the ball, make good decisions about when to let it bounce and average about 8 yards per return.

• • •

IronDrummer: Can the Cowboys score 45 points a game?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: NO. A thousand times NO. But they will hit 30 at least five times.

• • •

Jason L: What's it going to take for Bobby Carpenter to force his way onto the field? Shouldn't a first-round pick in his second year make some kind of impact even if he's not a starter?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: He should definitely be better. I thought he was a great pick because he could rush a little, play good run defense and bring some leadership qualities. He's on his way to being a bust, which pains me as a Buckeye. It is what it is, though.

• • •

hncbvmhjh: Do you see Marcus Spears or Chris Canty improving more along the defensive line? Canty shows flashes, but Spears still seems invisible out there.

Jean-Jacques Taylor: It has been one game. Let's see what happens. It's clear that each of them needs to be difference-makers on a regular basis.

• • •

• • •

zake: Is there any chance the Cowboys pick up Tank Johnson?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: Interesting. If they want Tank, they need to hurry up and go get him so he can finish his eight-game suspension and get back on the field by November. My suspicion is they won't get involved with Tank because they don't want the PR hit.

• • •

hncbvmhjh: What about reports earlier that Newman would be better off when the injury tears? If that is the case, why are we sitting him out when he could practice and let it tear all the way?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: I believe those comments meant that if he had torn it instead of ripped it, the situation would be better. Tearing it now, though, would require a surgical procedure that would force him to miss some time. He's trying to avoid that, if possible.

• • •

milo: What did you think of Jacques Reeves' game? Can he hold on and not get burned every game until Newman gets back?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: He was solid for the first game out. :laugh: He gave up a TD, but intercepted a pass. He broke up a couple of passes and you didn't leave that game saying Reeves was the reason the Giants scored 35 points. He obviously has room for improvement, but it was a solid start. It would also help if linemen and linebackers came through with a pass rush.

• • •

dcwinners: How would you fix the Cowboys' defense with the current problems?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: We don't have enough time to discuss that. The short answer is the Cowboys have to come up with more pressure and fix the communication breakdowns that led to busted coverages.

• • •

hncbvmhjh: About Tony Romo sits to pee and his contract ... how long does Jerry wait to make an offer? If Romo sits to pee starts out on fire like last year, his price will be sky high, right? Do they franchise him if need be?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: The deal will get done sooner or later. Romo sits to pee isn't going anywhere. Let's see what happens in Chicago before we put Romo sits to pee in the Hall of Fame. He was really good Sunday, but there are 15 games left and he'll have some problems in three or four of them.

• • •

From e-mail: Remi Ayodele was playing well this preseason. In fact, I believe he was a very difficult cut. We need a nose tackle. Why has he not been signed, yet? Are there any other options?

Clay

Jean-Jacques Taylor: He had to go through waivers. He might already be signed by Dallas.

• • •

loera28: What do you think the Cowboys should do with the Browns' draft pick this year?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: Waaaaaaay to early to think about next year's draft.

• • •

dcwinners: How do you think Jay Ratliff will do as a nose tackle? Why did he last until the seventh round in the draft?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: Here's my only question about Jay: How will his body hold up. Jason Fergsuon weighed only 5 to 10 more pounds than Ratliff, but he had a much thicker lower body. Ratliff has a lot longer and leaner body frame. That's why he played tight end for a while at Auburn. If his body holds up, he'll be fine because he's a really good player, I think.

• • •

viewer: How would you rate the performance of the Cowboys' offensive line?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: They were pretty good the other night. Not too much pressure and a few holes in the running game.

• • •

Sam: What do you think about not playing Roy Williams as a safety during passing downs? Play Hamlin and Watkins as safeties and Williams as a linebacker. I know they do it some, but let's make it permanent.

Jean-Jacques Taylor: It's not going to happen. I watched Pat Watkins give up some big plays last year, too.

• • •

.Sam: What do you think about not playing Roy Williams as a safety during passing downs? Play Hamlin and Watkins as safeties and Williams as a linebacker. I know they do it some, but let's make it permanent.

Jean-Jacques Taylor: It's not going to happen. I watched Pat Watkins give up some big plays last year, too.

The Cowboys are going to have consistant trouble finding a comfortable place for Williams unless they bring in more players who can cover! Even then he will be forced to cover underneath.

From e-mail: Do you think Greg Ellis saw how Anthony Spencer was punishing Eli Manning and decided that he has been miraculously healed?

LOL, Anthony Spencer was next to invisible in that game. I think saw him near the ball on about 2 plays. It just so happens that one of those two plays involved throwing Eli Manning to the ground. If anything his play would encourage Ellis to sit out a little longer knowing his spot will be assured when he gets back.

The Cowboys are going to have consistant trouble finding a comfortable place for Williams unless they bring in more players who can cover! Even then he will be forced to cover underneath.

WORD

William's forte is not coverage..he is a hitter and tackler..he had 9 against the gnats...not too shabby but unfortunately his tackling prowess is overshadowed by his glaring inability to cover. His glaring inability to cover is ignorance of half of his job because the last time I checked Strong Safeties were in the defensive backfield.

WORD

William's forte is not coverage..he is a hitter and tackler..he had 9 against the gnats...not too shabby but unfortunately his tackling prowess is overshadowed by his glaring inability to cover. His glaring inability to cover is ignorance of half of his job because the last time I checked Strong Safeties were in the defensive backfield.

With all the talk of Fergy and TNew being the two players that Dallas can ill-afford to loose, I think there is a third that has been overlooked. Although he is new to the team, Hamlin has shown leadership and is decent in coverage. These are the qualities Williams has lacked making him Williams new best friend. If he goes down you can write your season off because the other safeties on your roster are liabilities in coverage.:2cents:

Archived