Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Movies of the last 20 years

Thinking Skins

Originally posted by Brave

Let me see if I understand this correctly, Michael. You were disappointed in Rocky5 ... but it's still one of your personal favorites? How's that?

I thought the first Rocky was OK (if overrated), but they got progressively worse until almost becoming a caricature of the character. Rockys 2-5 seemed (to me) more vehicles for Sly's ego than an attempt to make good movies.

The main thing that bothered me about them was that, though based on or around boxing, there was NEVER a single realistic fight. If boxers repeated wailed away at another fighter with his hands down the fight would be stopped. In all the Rockys the fighters simply take turns wailing away. I have never seen a fight like this.

Is a little more realism to much to ask?

not true

in the 70s and 80s, when the movies took place, fights were rarely stopped, and especially because someone was getting their a$$ kicked... ya gotta understand the time period when the movies were made... Rocky was filmed in 28 days (record) with one of the lowest budgets ($1 million) ever for a blockbuster movie... the movie grossed over $100 million and this is a time period when Jaws (1975) and Star Wars (1977) were released... Stallone wasn't even a star and wrote the script for Rocky I in 3 days... considering the amount of reality in the movie and the amount of time to write/produce it, that's pretty impressive and far from overrated...

the original story is based on the fight between Chuck Wepner (Rocky) and Muhammad Ali (Apollo)... the comparisons between the movie and this actual fight are unbelievable... i can't see how you think more realism is needed? it is a *movie* after all...

i have the complete collection on DVD and i love them... i can't wait for Rocky VI to make it's way into theatres... Stallone has already signed the contract and filming should be under way...

i, too, was disappointed in Rocky V, but only because the first 4 built up my expectations so high that i expected it to be better than the previous... and it's not that the 5th sequel was bad, however, i thought maybe they could have ended the series after 4... maybe the problem was the directing -- Stallone directed the first 4 Rocky's, but left V up to somebody else (can't think of his name)... i hope they do not make the same mistake with Rocky VI...

unlike most people, i found the stories getting better as each movie was made... considering the circumstances, the original Rocky is the greatest movie out of them all... however, i found myself enjoying them more and more after each one i saw (with the exception of V)... maybe it's just me -- of course not everyone likes Rocky... but the scripts to those movies are priceless... everything from the setting to the characters is as real as you can get for a movie, so i'm not quite sure why you'd disagree...

you gotta remember, no matter how much real life it's based on, it's still a movie in the end... and movies are made to entertain... and i sure as hell was entertained... :)

Originally posted by Eagles_Legendz

Love Star Wars, Shawshank, LOTR, Godfather, Memento, Minority Report.

Legendz.... you must be my evil twin...

Star Wars (the whole series definatly #1...)

I would also add...

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indy Jones and the Last Crusade

8MM

The Rock

The Patriot

Seven

Jaws

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

"Hullo. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

STOP SAYING THAT!"

Adding to the list:

Antonia's Line

The Red Violin

Dances with Wolves

Rio Bravo (breaks the 20-year limit, but it's my favorite Duke movie) :D

Pitch Black is a good scifi/horror flick. Not great, but good.

OrangeSkin, my wife loves those Red/White/Blue movies. I still haven't seen them though.

When did the movie Mash come out? (of course I prefer the tv series as an all time classic.)

Many of mine are already listed. i.e. Glory, Braveheart, Highlander (original not the sequels), The matrix, The natural, A few Good men, Rudy, Blade runner, etc.

But a couple that get added:

Enemy Mine

Rob Roy

Armegheddon (if it's sci fi or fantasy, it's generally good :) )

Dune

And a couple of comedic oldies that deserve all time status;

Father goose Cary Grant)

Operation petticoat (Cary Grant and Tony Curtis)

Mister Rogers (henry fonda, james Cagney) gets up there also.

the one line from Cary grant's character in Operation Petticoat goes "when a girl is under 21, she's protected by law, when she's over 65, she's protected by nature. Anything in between is fair game." :laugh:

It’s almost hard to imagine that Tommy Boy hasn’t been mentioned. Chris Farley at his best. I dam near die laughing every time I see it. I don’t think I’ve seen Young Frankenstein mentioned either. It’s a classic example of Mel Brooks work, though a bit hard for the younger crowd to completely get unless there into old horror flicks.

It’s a shame that from those two movies, we’ve lost three very talented people.

Alrighty, three of my favorites haven't made anybody's lists so far(that I saw):

Ghost Busters, Unforgiven, & Life is Beautiful

Rounding out my top ten, but in no order:

Crouching Tiger

Usual Suspects

Indiana Jones (either first or last)

Shawshank

Green Mile

Princess Mononoke

Black Hawk Down

YALINPO (Yet Another List In No Particular Order) :

Sports:

Major League

Caddyshack

Remember the Titans

Bull Durham

A League of Their Own

White Men Can't Jump

Tin Cup

Ali

The Program

Comedy:

Ace Ventura I

Beverly Hills Cop II

Office Space

Legally Blonde

Stripes

Back to the Future I

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Trading Places

Spinal Tap

Fish Called Wanda

Night at the Roxbury

My Cousin Vinnie

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion

Austin Powers I

Drama/Action:

Oceans Eleven

The Negotiator

A Few Good Men

Braveheart

Point Break

Armageddon

Stand and Deliver

Crocodile Dundee I

The Presidio

Officer and a Gentleman

Double Jeopardy

A Perfect Murder

Working Girl

Good Morning, Vietnam

No Way Out

Enemy of the State

Bone Collector

Sea of Love

Traffic

Gladiator

Military:

Hunt for the Red October

Behind Enemy Lines

Blackhawk Down

Top Gun

Pearl Harbor

Crimson Tide

Saving Private Ryan

U-571

Teen Angst:

Clueless

She's All That

10 Things I Hate About You

Never Been Kissed

American Pie

Not Another Teen Movie

Can't really compare movies across genres so I broke it up.

I know its alot but it is 20 years after all ...

Guest Matt Kyriacou

Oops!

I forgot a few.

Copycat

Along Came A Spider

Bloodwork

Pale Rider

Cruel Intentions

The Crying Game

L.A. Confidential

No Mercy

As Good As It Gets