Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis, not Shockey, wins offensive ROY

Portis beats out ex-college teammate Shockey

Portis beats out ex-college teammate Shockey

The Denver Broncos just keep finding dominant young running backs. The latest, Clinton Portis, beat college teammate Jeremy Shockey for The Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award Tuesday.

Denver's run on star runners began in 1995 with Terrell Davis. It continued with Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson -- the top offensive rookie in 2000 -- and now Portis.

"I'm just glad to finally win something,'' said Portis, who ran for 1,508 yards, by far the most among rookies and fourth overall in the NFL. "I think the last time I won anything individually was in high school. I think I was named county player of year or something like that.''

Like University of Miami teammate Shockey, Portis isn't exactly shy. Unlike Shockey, he wasn't selected until the second round of April's draft, 51st overall. Of course, the Broncos didn't take Davis and Anderson until the sixth round, and Gary was picked in the fourth.

But Davis' wrecked knee forced him out of football, and Anderson was switched to fullback. So Portis quickly became a factor, and he scored 17 touchdowns, tied for third most by a rookie in NFL history, and tied for third in the NFL in 2002.

He also had the second-best average per carry ever for a rookie, 5.52, behind Franco Harris's 5.61 in 1972.

"If you look at the type of stats he produced and realize that he didn't start the first four games of the season, it's somewhat unbelievable,'' coach Mike Shanahan said. "He's got a lot of confidence in himself and his abilities. He really believes he belongs on the field with the best players in the NFL, and that's the type of mind-set you have to have to be successful.''

Portis earned 29 votes from a nationwide panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. Shockey, the New York Giants' energetic and sometimes outrageous tight end, received 17 votes.

"I'm glad I beat him out,'' Portis said. "He had a good year, but I'm glad I got it. I think it's just opening up people's eyes in the league to UM. You look at the other players we had that played well. ... I think I was the last pick out of all of them, so I'm glad I was the one to win it.''

The next step, of course, is to be as much of a threat as Davis was before injuries sidelined him. Davis won the league's most valuable player award in 1998, when he rushed for 2,008 yards -- the third-highest total in league history.

"If the plan is for me to be the best thing the Broncos have had, that's fine with me,'' Portis said. "When you look at Terrell, Olandis and Mike and see that they all played great, it's great just to be a part of this group. Just being around these guys is good enough.''

Portis' team was not good enough for the playoffs, finishing 9-7. Shockey helped the Giants (10-6) get to the postseason and led all tight ends with 74 catches for 894 yards.

Houston quarterback David Carr and New Orleans guard LeCharles Bentley were the only other rookies receiving a vote; each got one.

Portis and Anderson are the only Denver rookies to win the award. The last four NFL Offensive Rookies of the Year were running backs: Portis, Anthony Thomas of Chicago, Anderson, and Edgerrin James of Indianapolis.

Originally posted by Henry

Ok, here's a question: Given the amount of unheralded RBs that seem to thrive in Denver, should Terrell Davis be considered for the HOF?

Two rings, SB MVP, 2000+ yard season.

Them's some good stats. Thoughts?

yes, i think he deserves it -- that 2000+ yard season with SB MVP was crazy...

maybe not first-ballot, but he deserves to get in at some point... you can make a good argument from either side...

Originally posted by THiTo11

... you can make a good argument from either side...

I agree. He put up some amazing numbers. But then again, his career was rather short, and several other RBs have succeeded in the same system, so maybe it's the system more than Davis.

I see both sides of this. I'm curious to see what the vote is.

Originally posted by THiTo11

[Portis] also had the second-best average per carry ever for a rookie, 5.52, behind Franco Harris's 5.61 in 1972.

That's nothing.

MEANINGLESS FACTOIDS OF THE DAY

• In games where Ladell Betts gets at least 17 carries, he averages 5.8 yards/rush -- beating Portis *and* Harris.
  • In games where Ladell Betts gets at least 20 carries, he has *always* gained at least 100 yards.

:high:

Archived