Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unconfirmed: Virginian-Pilot Reports That 'Skins, Gardener Have (Unsigned) Deal

goldenster95

A poster from another board is saying that Friday or Saturday's Virginian Pilot reported that the 'Skins and Daryl Gardener have a deal in place, but that the deal is not signed. Joe White, not Jim Ducibella (who's made it known he's not a 'Skins fan), supposedly wrote the article, which hasn't made it on-line yet.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Bufford

sounds like bull**** to me. If there was something bigger lined up I think the Post would have it....or KFFL.

The Post has been known to be slow on some info, though. And that's funny considering it's a major media outlet and Mark Maske is supposedly tight with Danny.

Dunno. We'll see.

Originally posted by Chris 44

I saw the same article also, but didn't put too much credence to it. If a deal were in place it would have been done.

You did? Amen. If true, which I think it would be if it came from Joe White, deals like that happen all the time. They simply wait for some cap space to clear. And that'll happen when Davis gets cut or someone else gets re-worked.

I thought about a similar scenario in which Gardener agrees to a long-term contract but it isn't executed until June 2 or some future point in the offseason when cap money is expected to be freed up. I don't know if this strategy would amount to circumventing the cap rules, but if it did or could, I don't think you'd see the Post reporting it.

I think TAB got it right. They don't want to formalize the contract until such time as the cap hit is acceptable. It's probably a signed contract that has not been delivered to the league office. As long as they aren't violating any rules, I'm just fine with that as Gardener ended up being one of our three best defensive players this year.

Archived