Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cleveland\Pittsburgh game question

MikeB

You know, I've always wondered why in this kind of situation no one has thought of it. He would have had to throw it backwards otherwise it would be an illegal forward pass and that would have ended the game. But, if he threw it backwards out of bounds, he may have stopped the clock before it ran out. I have thought of this in many different situations.

I don't remember the exact wording, but I think there is a rule against "intentional" fumbles. If memory serves me correctly, I think it happened in a game and a rule was made to prevent it.

Anybody who knows better, please feel free to correct me as needed.

Happened a long time ago....far....far......way. Called the Holy roller. Oakland vs San Diego. Ken Stabler was flushed out to the pocket and just as he was being pulled down, he flipped the ball forward. Underhanded. After the ball was batted and kicked around by one or 2 players, Dave Casper fumbled around with the ball till it crossed the goal line. He then fell on it. Touch down. Raiders win.

The resulting rule.

"On fourth down, or on any down inside the last two minutes of either half, only the fumbling player can recover the ball for a gain. If anyone else on the fumbling team recovers, the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble. "

:cheers:

Archived