Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King... 1 apology down, 500000 to go.

Zen-like Todd

From today's MMQB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2003/01/06/mmqb/

WHY DID YOU SNUB DARRELL GREEN? From Jeff of King of Prussia, Pa.: "I'm a pretty regular reader and enjoy your MMQB column, but I just couldn't stomach something and had to tell you about it. One of the greatest cornerbacks in the history of football and quite possibly the classiest football player ever to wear a uniform retires after 20 years and you gave him two sentences. Do you feel that Dick Hantak, Jim McNally, the Parcells/Jones fiasco, Dick LeBeau, and Tiki Barber were more worthy of recognition in your column, or was this just an oversight? I understand that the media bias toward the Redskins, Dan Snyder and Steve Spurrier is very strong, but could we all just put that stuff aside for a moment to honor one of the NFL's all-time great players? Green embodies every single thing that we want our athletes to be, yet the media spent more time a few weeks ago on Terrell Owens' Sharpie than did on Green. Other than the actual coverage during the game, I believe that the media had an opportunity here and totally blew it!"

Great point. I should have done more on Green. You're right.

The National media is so biased against the Skins that it's a joke. This kind of thing is just something we're going to have to deal with as Redskins fans apparently. If Snyder had pulled what Jerry Jones did in only giving Dennis Green a token phone call, the media would have had a field day. As it is, the only such speculation I've heard about that is on this board.

Take TB too for instance, the firing of Dungy, the Parcells fiasco, the last minute elimination of Marvin Lewis as a candidate, giving up two #1s for Gruden, now asking for compensation for Parcells, Snyder could never get away with that crap and TB hardly gets any slander. It filters down to opposing teams fans who constantly make disparaging remarks about Dan "Schneider" like they actually know what they're talking about. It makes me sick.

yeah, but that was not Wuerffel starting what, 12 of those games? :)

come on now, King specifically pointed to Wuerffel as the guy who would make the Redskins offense go in 2002 and he said that in the summer right after the Japan Bowl game, so there is no question of who he thought the starting qb would be :D

that's like saying a guy thought Vinny Testaverde was going to throw for all that yardage and be the #1 qb in the AFC and then taking credit for the performance of Chad Pennington who was riding the bench in the preseason, and saying he knew it all the time :laugh:

whatever makes a guy rationalize things in his own mind :rolleyes:

Actually, not fair to jump on King for that one.

He was giving a hunch, on the basis of what had just happened in Japan. And the context that it was given in was: if you've got a low round pick remaining in your fantasy draft, and you need a backup QB, try taking Danny Wuerffel. For all I know he could pass for 3500 yards and 24 TD's...

That said, he still spends too much time talking about coffee and field hockey for my liking. Funny too, because I thought it was interesting when he started doing it. Act just got stale, however.

Archived