Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

grossman the next farve?

prophet

could we take that chance if he is available

http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2003/0105/1487512.html

Packers noticed Favre wasn't himself down stretch

Packers quarterback Brett Favre recently has said he will play next season, but there was a smattering of speculation inside Green Bay's locker room following Saturday's wild-card playoff loss to the Falcons that he is contemplating retirement.

A Packers spokesman said Favre will be available to the media on Monday.

Though Favre is expected to continue playing, several Green Bay players, coaches and front-office personnel have noted he's been fairly lethargic for much of the season's second half.

Regardless of Favre's status, the Packers have all but decided to use their first-round draft pick on a quarterback.

One quarterback on their radar screen is Florida's Rex Grossman, who confirmed Saturday that he is skipping his senior season and headed for the NFL draft.

Former Packers GM Ron Wolf, a consultant to the team, told me this week that Grossman reminds him of Favre more than any college quarterback he's seen in the past 10 years.

The Packers are picking in the bottom of the first round, but it is a quarterback-rich draft, so the idea of Grossman being available isn't far-fetched.

Personally, if I were looking for a 'Favre' type, I'd be looking harder at Dorsey than Grossman. But you never know. A lot of people dissed Pennington when he was drafted and look where he is right now. I think Grossman will go early 2nd round, no earlier.

The context was what the Packers might do. We've got what we need in Ramsey. Dorsey's got that competitive fire and some of the QB intangibles that Favre does...just an observation. I think Favre is well past his prime and overrated anyway, so the Packers would be smart to look for his successor.

Archived