Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is more like it: Roy Williams would be a great Redskin

As I've posted repeatedly, I'm sick of egotistical, jacka$$ WRs, and I'm sick of the Redskins blowing high picks on them. This is one reason I'm pulling for McCants, because if he ever makes it as a top NFL receiver, it would be a great story of "guy from nowhere makes it big" and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I've dreaded that the Redskins would trade up to top-3 to get Charles Rogers -- nothing against Rogers, but I don't want to blow so much on one WR. We might get Andre Johnson at #13, but he strikes me as the prototypical ultra-talented, inconsistent WR jacka$$, and we can get that for free by re-signing Michael Westbrook.

So I've urged this forum and the Redskins to look for hard-working, fast WR sleepers.

But: there's one other possibility. Roy Williams has said he's not coming out early, but there's still time for him to change his mind. He just had a big Cotton Bowl game and was named offensive MVP -- this on the same team with QB Chris Simms. All well and good: remember, Andre Johnson had an even better Rose Bowl game last year.

But what I'm looking for in a top WR now is the right attitude: a guy who will come in, study Spurrier's system, and dedicate himself to becoming a top NFL receiver and a dependable player. Quotes from Williams after the game show him to be this kind of guy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=230010099

Williams almost single-handedly rallied Texas from a 10-point deficit Wednesday, sending the No. 9 Longhorns to a 35-20 victory over LSU. He turned a short slant into a 51-yard touchdown, went 75 yards after a leaping grab to set up another score and snaked 39 yards for a TD on an end around.

"He might be the best football player I've seen all year,'' Tigers coach Nick Saban said.

After receiving a huge trophy as offensive MVP, Williams said he didn't deserve it -- and didn't object when teammate Rod Babers slid it away. Williams then criticized himself for a false start and said he could do a better job of running routes.

"I don't feel like I'm the best receiver in the country,'' Williams said. "I don't think I've done what I'm capable of. I still have things to prove, things to learn, before I go to the next level.''

I don't know if Williams is coming out -- his quote indicates he still thinks he's staying in college. But he's got the right attitude. Among receivers with elite talents, I'll go with the guy with the right attitude, and Williams has it.

Charles Rogers may also have that attitude, but he's graded as a higher pick. Roy Williams might be easier for the Redskins to get. If he declares and is available at #13, I say get him.

Real high on Roy Williams, just don't see him dropping to us. Jacksonville needs a wide receiver and Rogers will be picked by there turn in the draft. My guess is he is coming out. He would get a great contract as a top 10 pick and why risk an injury?

I watched the game today, and found myself drooling on the cat when watching Williams play. I also was somewhat suprised by his lack of size from the waist down. He seemed to have rather then thighs and even smaller calves. Kinda looked like a pumpkin on a toothpick. Cannot deny his talent though, and his attitude is even more appealing.

If he's there, at #13 when we pick, than it would be awfully hard to turn him down. I'd have to see if anyone else was on the board, such as Suggs or Kennedy..... but even then I'd write on the card to send to the podium and then beat the sh*t out of myself ala Jim Carrey in "Liar Liar".

He kind of reminds me of Randy Moss in his sticklike figure.

He'll be of great help to us even if we don't get him in the event he comes out. The Jags will probably draft him and it'll allow us to get a top-tier wideout (Johnson) without having to move up.

Guys, if we want a top-3 WR (Rogers, Williams, or Johnson) we would have to trade up. Quote me on that. No way we get any receiver worthy of the 13th pick, unless Rashaun Woods comes out (and even that could be a stretch).

For this reason, I think that if Roy Williams comes out, we should consider trading UP for him. Yes, we have many holes, but I see him as a can't miss prospect.

Here's the scouting report on Roy Williams from the www.laststory.com website:

2) Roy Williams, Junior, Texas

Draft Grade: A (First Round)

The Skinny: With a personality that’s almost Ricky Williams-esque (but in a good way) and amazing athletic ability, Roy Williams is a top-ten prospect for the 2003 draft. He could go in the top-three if talent was the only consideration, but injury concerns will undoubtedly scare off many teams. A popular, well-like player, Williams is a natural ham and will become a fan favorite in any NFL city. His athletic abilities are eerily similar to Charles Rogers, and like Rogers, he’s also been compared to Randy Moss. He’s got a great leap and adjusts well in the open field. Despite being pared with a solid college quarterback, Williams doesn’t routinely dominate games the way one would expect. He might be an Alvin Harper-type big-play threat rather than a go-to receiver in the NFL. It’s almost as if he hasn’t quite learned how to put all his tools to good use. Williams’ injury woes trace back to high school, where he had bone spurs, and had recurrent hamstring problem in college. Plays the deep ball better than crossing routes. Some grizzled NFL scouts are leery of a player with, ahem, flamboyant tendencies and colored contact lenses, but Williams is charming enough to set these concerns aside. At this stage, he’s more of a complimentary player who might struggle in the West Coast Offense, as his route-running needs work. Still, with a ceiling as high as his, Williams deserves early consideration and will force a team to keep their safeties deep. Roy Williams at 100% is every bit as good as Charles Rogers… the trouble is that he’s seldom at 100%. Early reports indicate that Williams will stay in college another year, but with a personality as flighty as Williams’, much can change over the next few months. He has more to lose by returning to Texas than what he’d gain by playing an entire season injury-free.

Not only has Williams stated time and again that he'll return for his senior year, he's done so at important UT functions and to the national media. I just don't see him changing his mind.

That being said, if he changes his mind (wouldn't be the first time it's happened), there's no way after the game he had at the Cotton Bowl that he falls past #7 or #8 in the draft. No way. We've got absolutely no shot at him without trading away at least our third-rounder, which would be very, very foolish.

I watch all the UT games, and as dominating as he can be, Roy's got a lot of improving to do. He knows it and everyone else who watches him for more than one game knows it. His big reason for not coming out is that he isn't guaranteed to be a top 5 pick, and at this point he shouldn't be. He needs to show he can stay healthy and consistently take over games.

Either way(if Williams leaves this year) you can't lose between Johnson and Rogerts. Both super talented, altough I wonder how Johnson got that big. I don't think he was just eating his wheaties:rolleyes:

rv581,

I'm a Longhorns fan and I live in Austin, so I know the team pretty well. As far as "flamboyant" goes, it would be news to all of us if that were a Michael Westbrook or Kordell Stewart or Richard Simmons kind of "flamboyant," if that's what you're asking. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Last I heard, Roy's a confirmed ladies' man. Colored contacts? I don't know about that one. I don't think it's such a noticeable thing when white players do it, though.

He's just kind of a character, I guess you'd say. Practical joker, a little off-beat. The Ricky Williams comparison is dead on that way, but Roy doesn't seem to suffer from the social anxiety that has caused Ricky so much difficulty.

He'll make a great player, but for his sake (and for the Horns' sake) I hope he keeps with his decision to stay. He can show he can stay healthy, dominate more than 3 or 4 games a year, show he can consistently run better routes, break tons of receiving records, and be in the running for the Heisman.

It doesn't really matter. Only curious. I guess the only danger would be if his orientation caused him mental anguish. I forget the name of the ex-football player who recently came out of the closet, but I believe he was a former first round pick who never lived up to his potential. And the reason is probably that he was emotionally tortured about being gay.

Archived