Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taking a Knee

LoyalSkinsFan

even when we are up i'm thinkin "don't mess up?" because we always find a way to give the game away.

That, right there, describes in accurate fashion how I felt watching EVERY SINGLE GAME that Norv Turner coached when he was here. The feeling I had during Gibbs I was precisely the opposite feeling....I totally believed that we had THE best coach at making mid-game adjustments in the entire NFL. I still believe that today but he also has to have the players in place to make his adjustments work.

That's what we need to find the answer to this season.

HTTR

anybody that can watch the game again you should. its much harder to actually break stuff down when its happening. i watched again yesterday, and campbell looked much better than i thought. he threaded a few nice passes in, and got some big gains, pretty much proving he can stretch the field. heyer who i thought looked bad initially, actually looked pretty solid and its good that we found this kid because he looks like solid depth/potential future starting material. i sold golston short when i first watched, after watching again he did a great job, as did salavea (who i thought looked good initially). there were a lot of positives from that game that were kinda overshadowed by some negatives (jansen, run blocking, blitz protection) but all in all, as om said, we did pretty much run the same plays over and over so its kinda hard to tell what were capable of.

our defense was great, but we still need to get pressure from our ends. our DTs were getting closer to the QB than the DEs were, and we need carter or someone else to step up and make it happen. maybe this chris wilson kid surprises everyone.

We definately need something with our DE's. Two things I noticed which no one has really discussed on the defensive side of the ball.

1. The first team gave up alot of 3rd and longs. Collins was 3-4 on 3&5 or more, with 3 1st downs. The good news is that the tackles were colapseing the pocket every time. Golston had 2 defelctions and was consistently in the QB's face. However, the Ends were not getting there. The Landry hit doesnt mean alot ot me, because we brought 2 LB's on that blitz as well. They got picked up. There was at least 1 guy, if not 2 wide open on that play. If that is a decent QB (and not one that had a 46% completion %age, with 1 TD and 6 ints and went 0-4 last year) there's a good chance we get toasted on that play.

2. DB's were playing well off the WR's. This concerns me, as we were "supposed" to be playing more tight coverage and more man to man this year, with all our CB talent and depth. To me this is a bad sign. What I get out of it is this. "We cant get pressure on the QB, so we have to protect against the deep ball. Opposing QB WILL have time, so we'll take a slow death over a fast one." Which is what we had going on last year.

However our Run D looks to be much inproved, even if it was a couple of backs that didnt play much last year. No Travis Henry killing us for 185 yards back there. But we look really stout in the middle with Golston and Fletcher. No push from a good offensive line and Golston was very tough. He was getting double teamed alot, and still managed to get a push in the middle, and I never saw him get moved more than a foot or 2 off the line in double teams. big improvment over last year. I think a healty Simeon Rice could do alot in the defence.

That, right there, describes in accurate fashion how I felt watching EVERY SINGLE GAME that Norv Turner coached when he was here. The feeling I had during Gibbs I was precisely the opposite feeling....I totally believed that we had THE best coach at making mid-game adjustments in the entire NFL. I still believe that today but he also has to have the players in place to make his adjustments work.

That's what we need to find the answer to this season.

HTTR

i just noticed i put a question mark when i said don't mess up lol. i thought you did it for a second. anyway, here's to devoping a winning mentality across the board, from the fans to the players and the coaches. :cheers:

We definately need something with our DE's. Two things I noticed which no one has really discussed on the defensive side of the ball.

Yup. Saw that, too. I'm of a mind that the DL is probably in better shape than we really saw last week...after all, Griffin was out.....but, I didn't see Andre Carter getting much push out there. Gotta be worried if the only way we get into the opposing QB's face is with blitzes. Better than not blitzing - like last season - but still not a good precedent to be setting.

HTTR

Yup. Saw that, too. I'm of a mind that the DL is probably in better shape than we really saw last week...after all, Griffin was out.....but, I didn't see Andre Carter getting much push out there. Gotta be worried if the only way we get into the opposing QB's face is with blitzes. Better than not blitzing - like last season - but still not a good precedent to be setting.

HTTR

We blitzed alot at the beginning of last year, but it was getting picked up and our secondary was getting torched. Williams backed off the bitz and elected to try and keep everything in front of the secondary, which didnt work either. What I was really hiping to see was CB right up on the WR and being physical at the line. I saw none of that, which makes me think that we might be in for a long season if we cant get off the field on 3rd and long. I think we'll see alot of those this year, as I dont think teams are going to run consistently well on us. But if we dont get stops on 3rd and long, it's not going to matter.

Archived