Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Martz Should Be Fired

Eparadox

He was in the Super Bowl last year. They lost on a field goal as time expired.

This year the Rams have been racked with injuries to their offensive line, te's, fb's, Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner and Mark Bulger and they still ended up 7-9.

Martz is 31-17 as a head coach and yet everywhere I go someone is calling him an idiot or saying he should be fired. It boggles my mind.

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

Martz is 31-17 as a head coach and yet everywhere I go someone is calling him an idiot or saying he should be fired. It boggles my mind.

Martz made running his offense such child's play people have forgotten the genius that made it possible.

Martz reinvented the NFL passing game, nearly won two Super Bowls in three years, turned a stockboy into a two-time league MVP (with the runnerup on the same team), and developed two backup QBs who have outperformed the same MVP this year. Yeah, he's an idiot all right.

:doh:

The problem with Martz isn't that he is a bad coach, he doesn't get outcoached as much as he outcoaches himself, he coaches with an arrogance that too often comes back to bite him in the ***. Timeouts? We don't need no stinkin' timeouts. Being an aggressive coach is fine, but Martz seems to lack a feel for when to pull back or switch things up. I could be wrong about that, I don't watch the Rams every week, but its a general sense I get from when I do watch them.

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

He was in the Super Bowl last year. They lost on a field goal as time expired.

This year the Rams have been racked with injuries to their offensive line, te's, fb's, Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner and Mark Bulger and they still ended up 7-9.

your are right...

Martz is one of the best coaches in the league

Martz's record is blurred by the fact he inherited a 13-3 Super Bowl winner with players like Warner, Faulk, Bruce and Holt in their primes :)

In order for Martz to establish his own identity he needs to win with his own players.

If Bulger becomes the qb and Bruce leaves in free agency, then Martz will be rebuilding with his own guys and THAT will give a better gauge.

Now, Lovie Smith has rebuilt the Rams defense and how much of the credit goes to the front office for identifying Smith as a DC and acquiring the players and how much goes to Martz I don't know.

But I am expecting that Zygmunt and Shaw made most of those decisions in the front office.

Again, Martz has been a creative playcaller but he has used basically the same script that Vermeil left him and much of the same personnel.

Martz could be a George Seifert, who won as long as Jerry Rice and Steve Young remained with the 49ers and were healthy.

Then as we saw in Carolina he was a disaster.

Originally posted by bulldog

Martz's record is blurred by the fact he inherited a 13-3 Super Bowl winner with players like Warner, Faulk, Bruce and Holt in their primes :)

Martz could be a George Seifert, who won as long as Jerry Rice and Steve Young remained with the 49ers and were healthy.

I see bulldog is hitting the New Year's Eve sauce a little early tonight. :)

OK, let's see....

Dick Vermeil's record, 1997-98, without Martz: 9-23

Dick Vermeil's record, 1999, with Martz: 16-3, Super Bowl winner

Mike Martz's record as HC: 31-17 (including this year's 7-9)

Yeah, Martz is just riding Vermeil's coattails.....

And what's this about Seifert? Seifert was a DC for the 49ers for chrissakes. The 49ers had a nice D, but it was their offense, QBs and Jerry Rice who made them special. Nobody ever argued that Seifert was the genius behind the 49er throne, just that he was a pretty good coach and a good caretaker for the 49er regime after Walsh.

I don't know what happened in Carolina, but it doesn't make me think Seifert is a fraud.

Originally posted by bulldog

Martz's record is blurred by the fact he inherited a 13-3 Super Bowl winner with players like Warner, Faulk, Bruce and Holt in their

Again, Martz has been a creative playcaller but he has used basically the same script that Vermeil left him and much of the same personnel.

Whoa Doggie!!!!!

Did you ever see the Rams O before Martz got there as their coordinator? They were horrid, and Martz still had to convince Vermeil that Tony Banks wasn't the QB of the future:laugh: Remember all the people like Robiskie commenting on how the Rams started running the Redskin playbook in 99 after Martz went there

Yes, he inherited Bruce and they drafted Holt that same year, but Martz was the one who insisted on bringing in Trent Green, and then developed Warner into the all-pro, If anything, Vermeil has copied Martz since going to KC.

Archived