Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wagers I made with my friend(Cowboys fan)..feel free to comment

TheREALJBird

The offense can't just simply gameplan to get a matchup with a player on this defense. Parcells virtually ran the same exact formation on every single 1st and 2nd down. That allows the offense to dictate what the defense has to do as far as which players are in coverage etc. Phillips rotates his OLB's to get the matchup HE wants rather than just lining up the defense and allowing the offense to dictate what the defense HAS to do.

To be perfectly honest, you haven't seen enough of Ware if you think he's just a one trick pony.

Also, that was Greg Ellis on that side of the field on the long Portis TD last season... not Ware.

So in this paragraph you are saying there is no way that any team on offense can dictate the flow of the game because you say Parcells switches LB's and gets the matchup HE wants. So then losing 8 games last year was an mirage? I'm assuming he was talking about the 35-7 game when our offense and defense dictated the whole game. It is possible for some coaches to outcoach others and get matchups they want against Parcells. He's not perfect.

So in this paragraph you are saying there is no way that any team on offense can dictate the flow of the game because you say Parcells switches LB's and gets the matchup HE wants. So then losing 8 games last year was an mirage? I'm assuming he was talking about the 35-7 game when our offense and defense dictated the whole game. It is possible for some coaches to outcoach others and get matchups they want against Parcells. He's not perfect.

He's actually saying the opposite of that. He is saying that Parcells schemes were easier to gameplan against because he didn't move players around much. This may or may not be true but what is left out of the equation is that Bill Parcells' defenses have have on average had better results than Wade Phillips' defenses.

Of course they can audible.. the point I was making is that under Bill Parcells, on almost every single play, Ware was lined up on the right side of our defense. In San Diego under Phillips, Merriman and Shaun Phillips swapped sides depending on the offensive alignment in order to get a favorable matchup for whichever player Wade wanted at the time. The defense is lining up AFTER the offense shows their initial alignment under Phillips. Under Parcells, the defense was lined up on the side they were going to be on even before the offense broke their huddle.

The offense can audible but its not like they KNOW where Ware is going to be on EVERY SINGLE PLAY like they did under Parcells. So, you can't just have a dedicated game plan of having Cooley forcing Ware into coverage whenever the offensive coordinator wants to.

The Seattle game was the biggest example of this... John Madden himself kept going on and on about how he couldn't believe that Ware was back in coverage as much as he was... this wasn't by the Cowboys' defense decision... this was what Seattle was forcing our very basic defense to do.

How many of you remember Merriman being in coverage frequently? Compare that to how many times Ware was back in coverage. There's your difference in the defensive gameplan.

1 man runs his defense expecting his players to beat the offense with whatever the offense throws at them.

The other man runs his defense to attack the offense and force the offense to deal with whatever the defense throws at them.

2 entirely different philosophies. Doesn't mean 1 doesn't work and the other one does. But, for Cowboys fans, we've already seen what we got from Parcells' methods and we're very excited to see what we get with something different.

Its a chess match with Phillips... with Parcells, it was just 2 brutes just standing there beating on each other.

At least that's my opinion of it.

The offense can't just simply gameplan to get a matchup with a player on this defense. Parcells virtually ran the same exact formation on every single 1st and 2nd down. That allows the offense to dictate what the defense has to do as far as which players are in coverage etc. Phillips rotates his OLB's to get the matchup HE wants rather than just lining up the defense and allowing the offense to dictate what the defense HAS to do.

To be perfectly honest, you haven't seen enough of Ware if you think he's just a one trick pony.

Also, that was Greg Ellis on that side of the field on the long Portis TD last season... not Ware.

Yeah, I was poking a stick in the cage with that one trick pony remark. Still, I don't think he's anywhere close to being a dominant player. I'll take your word for it on the Portis TD, but I thought Ware pre-dominantly played that side.

And you're nuts if you think Saunders can't manipulate a defense to get the matchups he's looking for. I'm not claiming he'll be successful all the time (the other guys are paid, too), but he's had at least as much success in this league as Phillips, so don't sell him short.

Yeah, I was poking a stick in the cage with that one trick pony remark. Still, I don't think he's anywhere close to being a dominant player. I'll take your word for it on the Portis TD, but I thought Ware pre-dominantly played that side.

And you're nuts if you think Saunders can't manipulate a defense to get the matchups he's looking for. I'm not claiming he'll be successful all the time (the other guys are paid, too), but he's had at least as much success in this league as Phillips, so don't sell him short.

I'm not trying to say that the offensive coordinators won't be able to get the matchups they want... you're right, that is stupid. My point was that it won't be a situation where the offensive coordinator will be able to force the matchups they want AT WILL. The offense will have to be much more clever and adjust much more than they did last season in order to force matchups. Our defense won't just be sitting there accepting whatever the offense wants to do.

It was Ellis. That happened to be one of the very very rare occassions that Ware wasn't lined up on the right side of the defense.

He's actually saying the opposite of that. He is saying that Parcells schemes were easier to gameplan against because he didn't move players around much. This may or may not be true but what is left out of the equation is that Bill Parcells' defenses have have on average had better results than Wade Phillips' defenses.

Oh, I see said the blind man. Guess I read it too fast. I slowed it down and realized what you said. My mistake.

Archived