Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins History 101 - Dexter Manley

DOOG

While reading the Pat Fischer thread yesterday I was directed to a series of pieces of work that were done by TK and Tarhog. The amount of time and dedication it took to put these articles and clips together in the summer of 2005 is beyond being dedicatied to this site. I knew that when reading about Pat Fischer I would learn quite a bit since I didnt grow up watching him.

Dexter Manley however I thought I knew. Wrong. There was so much more about this mans life that I didnt know. The link below will direct you to the thread about Dexter that TK and Tarhog composed. I think all of the articles from this series should be dusted off and put on the front page of the Stadium until training camp. It allows everyone to learn more about our team's history.

If you enjoy what you read, just post it in this thread so we can get the other threads in the series put into circulation once again.

TK and Tarhog, Thanks for the hard work you put into these articles.:cheers: :logo:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105479&highlight=Redskin%27s+History+101%3A+Legends+Lore

As a kid in England in the eighties I can honestly say that Dexter Manley was my sporting hero, even though 99% of the UK population wouldn't have had a clue who he was then or now.

At the time we didn't get much in the way of background info on the teams and players and had to make do with an hour of highlights a week but thankfully we saw the Redskins a lot. Although I made it my business to memorize every single Redskin, where they went to college (even though I'd never even seen a college game on the TV!) jersey number etc Dexter stood out because to me he seemed like superman in a Redskins uniform (we had nothing like football in England and certainly no soccer players looked as bad ass as Dexter :D )

I seemed to think every time Danny White, Phil Simms or whoever dropped back to pass that Dexter was going to get them and more often than not he didnt disappoint did he ?

When I read about Dexter's illiteracy,drug problems etc a couple of years back after stumbling across them on the net i was absolutely gutted and really upset.I think I read somewhere that he has found the Lord and I hope he has a peaceful and fulfilling life from now on because he deserves it.

My brother got me an auto'd Dexter Skins helmet a couple of years back and it will always have pride of place in my collection

Dexter's always been one of those guys that I have a lot of conflicting feelings about.

Obviously, on the field, the dude was a monster pass rusher with a non-stop motor. I didn't realize just how lucky we were having Manley and Charles Mann rushing the passer together until the past couple of years when we suddenly couldn't generate a pass rush at all. I enjoyed watching him play, but when he stepped off the field...

Well, that's where the conflict comes in. I believe Big Dex has a good heart. But I've always had a lot of questions about his head. From his battles with addiction, to his phony speech he "read" before a congressional committee; the guy's made a lot of bad decisions.

How much of the blame for that rests on Manley's broad shoulders, and how much of the blame belongs to the people around him? I really don't know. I get the impression that many of the people in his life only cared about Dexter Manley the athlete, and not Dexter Manley the man. That's sad; not to mention ridiculously unfair.

While I appreciate Dexter's contributions on the field; I'm equal parts angry and sad about what he did off of it. I hope he's finally to a point in his life where he's got things together. But somehow, even if I see it, I'm not sure I'll believe it.

Great read. Can't help but feel sorry for the guy even though most of his problem were self employed. But I'll never forget the hit he put on Danny White. Ranks right up there with Riggo's run and Darrel's punt return with the broken ribs, and Lavar ending Aikman's career.

Dexter's always been one of those guys that I have a lot of conflicting feelings about.

Obviously, on the field, the dude was a monster pass rusher with a non-stop motor. I didn't realize just how lucky we were having Manley and Charles Mann rushing the passer together until the past couple of years when we suddenly couldn't generate a pass rush at all. I enjoyed watching him play, but when he stepped off the field...

Well, that's where the conflict comes in. I believe Big Dex has a good heart. But I've always had a lot of questions about his head. From his battles with addiction, to his phony speech he "read" before a congressional committee; the guy's made a lot of bad decisions.

How much of the blame for that rests on Manley's broad shoulders, and how much of the blame belongs to the people around him? I really don't know. I get the impression that many of the people in his life only cared about Dexter Manley the athlete, and not Dexter Manley the man. That's sad; not to mention ridiculously unfair.

While I appreciate Dexter's contributions on the field; I'm equal parts angry and sad about what he did off of it. I hope he's finally to a point in his life where he's got things together. But somehow, even if I see it, I'm not sure I'll believe it.

I agree. Sometimes I wonder if he was a Giant or a Cowboy if we would feel the same way about him. We are much more forgiving when its one of our own.:2cents: :logo:

I heard he made it through his recent brain surgery OK, but have heard nothing since. Does anyone know his present condition?

I saw him at the draft day party signing autographs and talking to fans. I didn't get to talk to him myself, but he looked like he was doing well.

found this artilce about him that was written briefly after the surgery.:logo:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/25/AR2006062501023.html

I saw him at the draft day party signing autographs and talking to fans. I didn't get to talk to him myself, but he looked like he was doing well.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Glad to hear he continues to do well. If his brain cyst was diagnosed in '86, I wonder if it influenced his behavior? Not making excuses for him, but I suppose it is possible.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Glad to hear he continues to do well. If his brain cyst was diagnosed in '86, I wonder if it influenced his behavior? Not making excuses for him, but I suppose it is possible.

Ive never heard him say that in any interviews, but that doesnt mean its not the case. I would imagine it was much more influenced by his background after reading the write up.:logo:

Archived