Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Those who have "hosts file" exp

Coach Williams

Mine is almost 800k and I have reset the DNS client to Manual. AGainst what everyone says about having a file over 64k I am not bothered by any serious lag.

I have a question though......is there a way maybe make it faster?

I'd say WITH cookies and cache already in the system my Mozilla home page is yahoo.com and it loads in about 2-3 seconds @ a crappy connection of 1.5mbps.

Anyone know a way to speed up the scanning process though the hosts file? ( aside from deleting the file database )

:cool:

AFAIK, it's scanned from top to bottom. Put frequently-used addresses (like ES) at the top.

That said, though, I'd recommend against having one so big, if at all. There's a reason, for example, why DNS records have a cache-expiration time. IP addresses change.

And actually using DNS really doesn't slow you down much, at all. Your computer caches addresses from pages you've visited. Your ISP caches addresses for pages that other people visit. (When you want Google, your ISP has it cached, anyway.)

That said, though, I'd recommend against having one so big, if at all. There's a reason, for example, why DNS records have a cache-expiration time. IP addresses change.

Exactly. That's a bad practice. IP addresses change and some machines have multiple IP addresses (round robin to reduce load on servers).

The only numbers I put in my host file are the machines behind my companies firewall (VPN access). And that's not really necessary.

Archived