Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art, Your Opinion.........

jonjeff

........please. I know we kinda traded jabs concerning our offensive line early on. I was just wondering what your feelings are today concerning this area? I saw a different offense yesterday against the Texans. Vickers and Johnson were head and shoulders much better than Louverne and Brown. Our running game produced two 100 yard rushers(first time since 1985), in Watson and Betts. The pass protection was excellent. Ramsey had a ton of time to throw. This was all accomplished against one of the better defenses in the league. A defense that single handidly beat the Steelers two weeks ago 24-7. In my post below(Player Moves), I listed OG as our #1 priority heading into next season. If we upgrade this area, I feel our offense will continue to produce. With Jansen signed to a long term contract, and Sammuels the same, it is time to get a first rate gaurd to compliment our two stud OT's. I don't know what the free agent market has to offer, but it's time the Skins belly up to the bar and realize that the OG position is an important one. We can't go into another season like we did this past September with the talent level we did at this position.

If you read my post below, I would be interested to hear your feelings on who you would have back, and who you would show the door. I was a little dissapointed that more readers didn't post their thoughts concerning our upcoming offseason under my thread. I guess some were concerned more because I didn't put my post into paragraphs. My bad! I would like to know some of you other guys feelings concerning our personnel now that another season is coming to a dismal ending. Dismal to the fact that we missed the playoffs once again. Not dismal in the play of Patrick Ramsey, and the rest of our offense. Too bad it all seems to be coming together too late. Anyway, it would be nice to hear some opinions.

JJ,

The clear, single, greatest area of focus for the offseason is the defensive line, not the offensive line. The fact is, Powell and Gardener are not under contract. Wilkinson and Smith are under too big a contract. Jackson has an injury that will likely make him miss camp. We are dangerously and precariously thin on the defensive line and the defensive line was the single greatest consistently weak area we had all year as it was unable to generate pressure on the QB.

The offensive line had moments of weakness, but, has had great moments of strength as it did against the Titans, Colts, Seahawks, Rams, Cards and Texans. The offensive line was playing guys it never intended to start. The offensive line has better players under contract waiting to go. The offensive line does need attention. Just after the defensive line is gotten to the point that it can field a squad. We have to make moves to get competent bodies on the defensive side as a top priority.

The team should make every effort to use Stai's $1.2 million contract to bring Tre back. We then can cut Stai. I'd then grab Collins or Pillar as a young, starting level body on the interior of the line in free agency and go into next year with a line that is substantially better to begin with and that will have immensely greater depth just from being forced to start backups this year.

I think too many of you simply want to believe there's a eureka we can find on the offensive line that somehow is the greatest area of need we have. I'd rate the offensive line a distant fourth in offseason priorities, again, because we do have bodies who can play already under contract.

The defensive line is going to reach critical mass if we don't take care of it. Special teams were the single consistently bad area of the team all year. Terrell simply is largely non-functional in Marvin's scheme and we need plays back there. Then, we need to get one or two players (Tre for sure and hopefully one other) to fill out the offensive line. It doesn't matter the order we fill these positions. But, the criticality of each is pretty clear.

Art,

I think we will resign Powell. He did a pretty good job when called upon. I also think we will sign Gardner to a multiyear contract. He really wants to be a Redskin. He has been a huge presense both on and off the field this season. And to think, Miami said he had a bad attitude. All he needed is a fresh start. Wilkinson and Smith won't be back unless they both take substancial pay cuts. So yes, we are really thin along the defensive front as you said. I would make both the defensive and offensive lines as number one priorities during the offseason. Tre' should be resigned. I just hope he can hold up another season. He sure made a difference the past couple of games. Special teams are a disgrace. Both kickers need to go. What was your take on Ricot Joseph yesterday? He was around every kick, and caused the fumble on one kickoff. Where was this kid all year?

I don't want to make too much of an over-generalization here, but has everyone not noticed that we always play better ball when there is absolutely nothing on the line? I won't regenerate one of the many skins as 'headcases' threads here, but I don't think one decent showing against an expansion club defense means our offensive line is any better than we believed it to be. We clearly play better with no pressure on, which is not all that shocking I suppose. Tre has helped no doubt. I think Samuels is less dinged up than he has been. I also think that Betts and Watson both hit the hole much quicker than Davis has been able to of late which makes the line play appear better. But I still believe our Oline needs outweigh DL needs at this point. Our inability to sustain drives and pick up 3d downs consistently this year was a killer and I think we have to be able to dominate at the line of attack to get out of the 'find a way to lose' mentality we've had, even if it means our defense/pass rush takes a step back next year.

Archived