Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where is James Tuthill???

Buddha

Just out of curiousity, I checked the SD vs. KC gamebook to see how well Tuthill kicked today. Apparently, Steve Christie is handling all of the kicking for SD-- and Tuthill wasn't listed among the 53 players on the Chargers' roster.

Does anyone know if he was released this week???

Tuthill had a nice early run for us, quite unexpected really.

But he fell into the one trap you just can't live with, missing both extra points and short field goals.

You can't trust Cortez on field goals over 40 yards as we saw this afternoon, but he is going to kick extra points and the 30 yarders he is asked to come on and make.

We have to upgrade at PK, but Cortez will be here next week.

I was thinking about Tuthill for the rest of the game after that first miss. Did anyone ever see a good explanation for why he was waived so abruptly? Watching him in warmups, it seemed (as we obviously saw) that he had this tendency to randomly pull the ball off to one side or kick it too low from time to time -- even though he also clearly demonstrated that he could just as easily do it right.

What I don't understand is why the coaching staff didn't feel like they could work with him to correct his mechanics so he can be more consistent, since he obviously has the raw skills to do a pretty good job and demonstrated them early in the season.

I assumed from the swiftness of his waiver that the coaching staff thought in practice that he couldn't be repaired, although I'd be really curious to know why that was the case. Maybe they just thought Cortez would work out better. If that's the case, they should get rid of him and see if they can get Tuthill back, but I doubt that we'll see that since the coaching staff would then have to essentially admit it made a hasty decision. Sure couldn't do that. :rolleyes:

again, there is one game left in the season :)

the Redskins need a kicker to make extra points and makeable short field goals.

whether Tuthill is a guy you can work with in the offseason to correct his motion and get him back in stride, is really irrelevant to trying to win the Dallas game THIS week.

The Skins have released a number of players this season. So Spurrier has obviously admitted in some cases that the staff made some mistakes in evaluating personnel.

Right now we are working to evaluate our younger players: Ramsey, Betts, Bauman, Cartwright, etc........

and that is what the focus is on.

my guess is a kicker will be drafted late or a veteran signed in the offseason.

Brett Conway looked after 2001 to be a good kicker for us entering 2002. He made some key fg's for us last year and played in all 16 games.

His one shortcoming was his kickoffs came down around the 8-10 yard line.

No one could know back in April or May that Conway was going to suffer a torn groin muscle and miss the season.

Give Spurrier a break, he can't know the personal history and injury potential of all 53 players on the roster his first year :laugh:

If Conway had a poor 2001 season he would have been replaced back before the draft IMO.

The one player I thought needed better competition in camp was Barker.

Anytime you have a 38 year old guy whose stats are in decline for several seasons, even if he was still average as Barker was in 2001, you have to test him each preseason.

Well, my question was trying to figure out whether it's in our interest to bring Tuthill back to hold onto the opportunity to evaluate him in the offseason like the other young players. Cortez hasn't shown me a thing, and for one game you might as well flip a coin to see if either one of them is going to hit. Whether it's actually worth another look at Tuthill I don't know, but that's why I'm curious to know more about what the coaching staff was thinking.

The only reason that I'd want to bring Tuthill back is because hes a young guy with a strong leg. This was his first NFL season, we should expect that he would get a little noxious. But he did do pretty well in some games and kicked some long ones too. We released that guy that Philly has now after we drafted him and he didnt do well as a rookie. I dont want him to go to another team and then become a pro bowler too. Thats just upsetting.

Archived